Atomic BC2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daduls

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Saw the BC2 recently.

Same tech with a few updates and it’s a back inflate.

It’s making rounds to dealers for first impressions.

Guy using it said he loved it.

Whatever the market bears...

I agree with tbone on this one, $1,400 is way too much to pay for a BC. I thought Halcyon was bad with their $900 BP/W.

Wow, I thought I read it wrong. $1400 for a BC?? Definitely too expansive for me

I saw one at the Long Beach scuba show last weekend. Very well made with lots of attention to detail and materials as you would expect from Atomic. Like the BC1, it looks a bit bulky compared to a backplate/wing setup. Really sizeable weight pocket release handles. It doesn't look like it will be economy priced

One thing I dislike is when folks inflate the price of BCs to support their preferred setup - saying that BCs cost ~$800 when thats like the MSRP for the premium model, and I know damn well I can find the base model at LP for $350, and so forth (happens alot on SB)

Thought that this was clearly what was happening here, as there was no way even in Trumps America that someone would try to sell a BC for $1400.

But I just looked the BC1 up on LP. $1400 (!!!) is the honest to god LP price for the base model!!! If you want bells and whistles, it costs more!!

Umm, lets just say Im not the target market for this particular BC line.

I used the BC1 for a few dives when it first came out. Like diving inside a life-raft. No thanks!

I saw this pop up in a UK review, and was gobsmacked at the price. FWIW the UK £ is the same as the US $ price

My friend, a Pro Dive guide/ Instructor in a tough tropical location, get around 3 years/2100 dives out of her Apex Black Ice BCD. After that they start to fall apart with the stitching rotting etc. Even if the Atomic was better materials, I'd struggle to believe that it would last 4 times as long (the price difference), 12 years/9000 dives.

I just don't see a ROI (even if a Pro diver had $1400 to shell out on a BCD)

Living in the Middle East, my rule of thumb is a life of 5 years on my gear (with the exception of regs). The heat and UV takes it's toll. All though my Diver Rite voyager wing is showing little signs of deterioration at 4 years old, I'm sceptical that the Atomic would last significantly longer to give me a beneficial ROI or even a break even with its price.

But as others have said, I'm sure there's a niche market for those wanting bragging rights on the boat. If you know of anyone, I have a bridge for sale...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom