VDH wing and bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine is an 18. I'm not going to actually buy a 23. ----- yet

Someone around here has to have one though...
I guess I’ll have to buy one so we can compare lol

Appreciate that but if you look at the description it states that’s an 18 next to a 35. Not 23. That’s why I’ve been asking for a pic of a 23 next to either and 18 or 35.

Do not pay too much attention to the older threads talking about wing size. There is not going to be that much difference in drag between the different size VDH wings. If fact, I doubt you could tell the difference while diving between the 23 and 18. Personally, I don't understand why Bryan sells 2 wings so close in size.

If you are going to dive year round in South Florida then I would go with a VDH 23 or a DGX 30. In the winter time, the water temps drop and you will need a 5 mil unless you are staying shallow. If you are only going to dive in the summer in a shorty than a 18 would be good enough.

Do not pay too much attention to the older threads talking about wing size. There is not going to be that much difference in drag between the different size VDH wings. If fact, I doubt you could tell the difference while diving between the 23 and 18. Personally, I don't understand why Bryan sells 2 wings so close in size.

If you are going to dive year round in South Florida then I would go with a VDH 23 or a DGX 30. In the winter time, the water temps drop and you will need a 5 mil unless you are staying shallow. If you are only going to dive in the summer in a shorty than a 18 would be good enough.

Ya after checking the dimensions it’s literally 1” difference in width for the 18 to 23. Everything is the same size wise. So for sure visually couldn’t tell a difference I would think now. 23 is the way for me personally. Gives me that little bit of leeway to dive with a 5 mil is I really need it at some point. Like we talked about in messages I’m still going to grab one of those Chinese 30# camo wings for shits and giggles

The other thing we don't know is if the listed lift is actually the true lift. There is no standard test for measuring lift. For example if you just inflate a wing and start adding weights until it sinks you will get one measure of lift. When you put the wing on the tank and it is constrained between the plate and tank then you may get something less. Especially, if using 8" tanks or a flatter than normal plate.

IIRC - Somewhere in all the SB threads has a discussion where Bryan demonstrated the wing lift with it fully rigged.

I guess I’ll have to buy one so we can compare lol
We’ll have to wait until they are back in stock. I’ll probably wait until water temps drop around here and test my 18# with a 5mm suit. I’m naturally negative so I won’t be wearing as much weight to sink the 5mm as guys who need to also sink themselves so we’ll see if the 18 will have enough lift to dive year round here in South Florida (I bet it does). If so, I’ll skip the 23# and just get a 35# for colder water diving.

Appreciate that but if you look at the description it states that’s an 18 next to a 35. Not 23. That’s why I’ve been asking for a pic of a 23 next to either and 18 or 35.
Good eye, I didn't notice that. That was a test, and you passed. :)

Back
Top Bottom