bouyancy without reference point.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can practice on every dive. Get used to doing your safety stop hanging flat in the water and using your dive computer as a depth reference.

it’s hard. Look for movement of particles in the water. If they are all doing down, it’s probably you going up. I’ve been told you can tell with you ears too, but I can’t.

Your experience may be different, but I can feel negative buoyancy changes in my ear after about two feet of drop. The sensation of rising in the water is more of a full-body experience for me. You may feel different indicators of your buoyancy changes, which I encourage you to observe in your next few dives.

I have the same problem when I lose sight of the bottom or some other reference, like a tree, say. I have to really concentrate (not my forte) when ascending in a green miasma especially when there's no sun and boats overhead.

Thanks for replies. I do pretty well when I can see the ground or another diver. But I lose all sense of space when I look around for my buddy in the darkness. I think that is what really throws me off.

Bring a bit of cotton thread or light line with you?

Dangle it between your idle hands like the lures of those deep water fish.

‘Stuff’ in the water as reference helps. You’re just bringing your stuff along with you. Should only be needed in super clear water.

I have not tried it, but it seems worth a shot.

Make sure it's you that shoots the blob. Problem solved if you're the one holding the reel!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom