Do you carry a backup SPG to your AI computer? If so- check this out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is not about debating the merits of a backup SPG to AI. If that's what you're looking to do please post elsewhere.

For recreational diving I don't understand why people spend so much for AI and then obsess over how to also attach an SPG to their kit. If I didn't trust the AI I would have saved $300-$400 by not buying the sender for my computer. For me the SPG resides in a save-a-dive bag, and I don't have an extra hose coming off my first stage.
The carrying of an SPG in addition to AI is just a matter of personal preference and the level of redundancy one might feel comfortable with. I also travel with an SPG carried separately in reserve.

While I don’t bother with an SPG back up I do think this is a great solution for a back up SPG.

Here's my low profile SPG I still use after all these years. M

vifGGQ.jpg

I disagree. If I continue to carry an SPG it's going to be same one in the same spot as it always has been, clipped to the left hip D ring. Why vary the location depending on whether or not you have an AI transmitter hooked up?

I like the routing but I can't see a mini SPG well enough to use one. I do have an SPG as a backup even though if my transducer died I'd most likely end the dive in a calm collected manner and then swap transducers that night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom