Dive buddies required in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otherwise I bring my own. A 40 or 19 cubic foot bottle if I'm driving, or a 6 cubic foot bottle if I'm flying.

Curious why you don't take your 19cf when you fly. I bring mine everywhere. I've put it in my carry on or checked luggage, never an issue, it easily fits.

It's too heavy, and takes up too much room in my baggage. With the 6 cubic foot bottle I'm a few pounds overweight on the luggage that carries my scuba gear already. The 19 cubic foot bottle would put me significantly overweight and I'd have to pay an extra fee

I fit everything I need for a week into one checked bag including the 19 cf pony, and one carry on that holds regs, mask, computers and even a Gopro with tray and lights, but I pack light.

I may end up trying that, but here with the family and only one car and none of them dive :(

For a first time visit to the Keys without a buddy...check out Rainbow Reef. Your family can drop you off at the dock and pick you up when you get done. There’s plenty for them to do on Key Largo to entertain them until you get back.

They’ll get you on the boat with short notice and they won’t act like you’re putting them out by showing up without a buddy.

Who is "they?" Granted things change, but I dived for years in the Middle and Lower/Slower Keys and only ran into that issue with one particular dive op (no longer in business) that had more rules than a catholic girls school (sorry, not PC :)). The rest of the ops if given a days notice would dig up another diver or one of their DMs would hop in if there was only one diver and they were already going out with snorkelers. Sorry you've bumped your head on the situation because I certainly enjoyed a lot of laid back dives on the little patch reefs in the area. Good luck. :)

According their website Captain Hooks still puts a guide in the water. I know they used to...unless they are the "they" you're referring to...

Enjoy Florida Keys Diving & Snorkeling with Captain Hook's

Capt Hooks is one of the shops I called. The do put a guide in if it's a full on dive op, but they only had dive boats going out of Big Pine Key, nothing out of Marathon for the next several days.

I booked a dive with Hall's Dive Center for Friday.

Capt Hooks is one of the shops I called. The do put a guide in if it's a full on dive op, but they only had dive boats going out of Big Pine Key, nothing out of Marathon for the next several days.

I booked a dive with Hall's Dive Center for Friday.
You might try Les
Booked a dive with Hall's Dive Center in Marathon, they have a spot open with some other divers going out on Friday. I don't mind being with other divers, I just thought it was kind of ridiculous that if they were taking snorkelers and didn't have another diver scheduled, then you must pay for a guide. I guess next thing i'll find out is that if you're snorkeling, they won't let you dive underwater...

Guess I just didn't properly research the area before I came down.
I feel your pain. I was in a very similar position last month staying with the family in Marathon. Being there for a week I did one afternoon two tank dive in Marathon. Otherwise Diving at Captain's Corner in Key West (Vandenberg and Cayman) and Islamorada Dive Center and Florida Keys Dive Center in Islamorada (Eagle with both of them) for the same reason as you. They all had Divemasters for guides. One afternoon, I basically had a guide to myself at no extra charge at IDC. I wanted to dive the Thunderbolt but none of the vendors in Marathon had trips scheduled for it that week. My family did the touristy stuff in Key West while I was diving with Captain's Corner and Captain's Corner doesn't require prepayment ( nor does IDC for FKDC). However all of the vendors in Marathon wanted prepayment. Next time I'm down, I'm staying somewhere between Key Largo and Islamorada.

Glad you enjoyed your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom