Dive buddies required in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbm369

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
here in Marathon and having trouble finding a boat to go scuba diving. Several ops do snorkel & diving, but won't let me go with snorkelers unless the have another diver (to buddy with) or I hire a guide...$100. A lot of snorkel trips, not much in way of dives, yet.

Is this normal for the area or something new? I've done drift diving off Stuart / Jupiter solo with dive ops, but here in the keys with dives @ 20-30ft, they want a dive buddy or guide??

Most or all Florida Keys Operators require a solo dive certification as well as the required redundant gear. At least they allow solo diving under those conditions, up until a few years ago solo diving was frowned upon and it was hard to find a charter that would allow it.

Rainbow Reef in Key Largo is one of the few that supply a dive guide at no additional charge but you may need to make it known that you need a guide at the time of your booking.

Wow that sucks...
When I go solo to the Keys I use Rainbow Reef Dive center in Key Largo.
You can dive as part of a group with the free guide.

Its located about 1 hr north of Marathon though..

Good luck

Ordinarily the boats buddy you up with other divers. Call around to the many shops in Tavernier and Key Largo as Marathon itself has few choices. As noted upthread, Rainbow Reef provides guides at no extra charge. Typically one guide per 4-5 divers.

Operator polices vary on solo diving, but if they don't know you, they'll be reluctant. Now that there is such a thing as a solo card, many places expect it.

Ordinarily the boats buddy you up with other divers. Call around to the many shops in Tavernier and Key Largo as Marathon itself has few choices. As noted upthread, Rainbow Reef provides guides at no extra charge. Typically one guide per 4-5 divers.

Operator polices vary on solo diving, but if they don't know you, they'll be reluctant. Now that there is such a thing as a solo card, many places expect it.

Booked a dive with Hall's Dive Center in Marathon, they have a spot open with some other divers going out on Friday. I don't mind being with other divers, I just thought it was kind of ridiculous that if they were taking snorkelers and didn't have another diver scheduled, then you must pay for a guide. I guess next thing i'll find out is that if you're snorkeling, they won't let you dive underwater...

Guess I just didn't properly research the area before I came down.

I just thought it was kind of ridiculous that if they were taking snorkelers and didn't have another diver scheduled, then you must pay for a guide

For all practical purposes, a snorkeler can't assist or rescue a diver at depth. Requiring a solo certification is a bit about safety and a heck of a lot about liability. If you want to dive solo in the Florida Keys, and increasingly in many other places, take the solo diver course and get the redundant gear including a pony tank with it's own regulator, and extra cutting tools and signaling devices.

I have not heard of that before. Though it is a bit north of you consider Islamorada Dive Center. I dont think I have seen snorkelers on the boat before it is always divers.

For all practical purposes, a snorkeler can't assist or rescue a diver at depth. Requiring a solo certification is a bit about safety and a heck of a lot about liability. If you want to dive solo in the Florida Keys, and increasingly in many other places, take the solo diver course and get the redundant gear including a pony tank with it's own regulator, and extra cutting tools and signaling devices.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to put that on the to do list. I actually have all the redundant equipment now, exception being the Pony tank. I do have a spare air 3.0 cu.ft, but that's probably not big enough for a proper redundant tank for a solo cert. I usually carry it with me on deeper dives, but would never think of carrying it on a 20ft dive here in the keys, lol.

I do have a spare air 3.0 cu.ft, but that's probably not big enough for a proper redundant tank for a solo cert. I usually carry it with me on deeper dives, but would never think of carrying it on a 20ft dive here in the keys, lol.

A Spare Air might be acceptable.

PADI Self Reliant Diver with Spare Air?

I have not heard of that before. Though it is a bit north of you consider Islamorada Dive Center. I dont think I have seen snorkelers on the boat before it is always divers.

Yeah, seems like here on Marathon, the popular reefs are shallow 20-25ft. So boats take snorkelers and divers if they don't have enough people for a full on dive day. They actually take divers to the shallow reefs unless people request to go to one of the wrecks or deeper dives.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom