Snorkeler Killed by Sharks in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A snorkler can recognize threat displays sometimes. Many years ago, I was snorkling in Bermuda and saw a couple of very large barracuda. I started easing over toward them and then one turned sideways, arched its back, and took on a pose that even I, in my predive days, thought looked like a warning display. I eased off the other way.

It's interesting I couldn't find an article on any pigs being eaten.

Do wild pigs go into the water on their own, or are operators putting them in the water? I can’t imagine a more ideal target for a shark than a slow-swimming pig thrashing about the water. And I don’t imagine pigs report too many attacks on their own kind ...

That is FAR from accurate, very far from. Just saying

Trends by Decade

Needs to be correlated with increase in people going into the water to be valuable

I couldn't find anything - is anyone aware of research that supports this view?

It is funny - but if you go looking for something to support your belief - right or wrong - you will find it. Keep an open mind... :)

Needs to be correlated with increase in people going into the water to be valuable
and shark population, which crashed in the 70's and 80's. Regardless, the comment that shark attacks are down is not accurate

Yeah, the pigs weren't even on the beach until we pulled up with boats, and then they swarmed us.

FWIW, between Staniel Key and Pig Beach, is Thunderball Grotto, where they filmed part of the movie by that name. Beautiful, with lots of juvies, don't bother taking anything but a snorkel to explore it. At the time I was there, there had been so many plane wrecks on take-off, that it was required for a pilot to pass a breathalyser test before they were allowed to fly. Lots of planes in the shallows and lots of nurse sharks around the dock.

This is from the same site as @cerich posted above to support his contention that shark bites are up
it isn't my contention, what I linked clearly showed an increase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom