Bull shark kills Pennsylvania woman -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I regularly see bulls on my ascent when solo from dives off of Palm Beach. I'm always watchful and keep my eyes on them. Apart from a tiger or a great white or a mako, they are the top dogs below the surface.
Although rare, I would include Oceanic Whitetips among the species in the group you mentioned.

Who knew? Add them to Great Whites as another shark I've not yet seen in SE FL. I need to catch a Whale Shark too,
Although observation of any of them, Great White, Oceanic Whitetip or Whale Shark would get the adrenaline going, I would prefer the adrenaline rush of the Whale Shark as opposed to the adrenaline rush of the other two.

Who knew? Add them to Great Whites as another shark I've not yet seen in SE FL. I need to catch a Whale Shark too,
I recall two sightings off Palm Beach, one of which was I think earlier this year. They're found off some spots in the Bahamas such as Cat Island.

I regularly see bulls on my ascent when solo from dives off of Palm Beach. I'm always watchful and keep my eyes on them. Apart from a tiger or a great white or a mako, they are the top dogs below the surface.
Bulls can be up and down the scale, but in general I find them to be calculating - e.g. they seem to have a good idea of where the viz limit is, whether they have a numerical advantage, and what they're up against. I've only had one time when one charged me while I was ascending with a can of lionfish; the only other times I've seen them get feisty were when they had a numbers advantage and/or there were some obvious human goobers in the water. Other days it's hard to bring them in; among other things if they don't have overwhelming numbers they don't like mixing it up with lemons, silkys, and sandbars (species that really don't understand the whole "personal space" thing). What makes them dangerous isn't so much their temperment as their capability to do massive amounts of damage in one bite.

A good rule to keep in mind is the old fighter pilot mantra "Lose sight, lose the fight" - it seems most shark attack victims, like most fighter pilots who got shot down, never saw it coming. Picking on a large animal that is alerted and taking defensive measures is not a smart move for any wild predator.

In SE FL?
I think it was off Florida (may have been the Bahamas but pretty sure it was FL) when I climbed up the ladder and the crew said, "We thought you were going to be lunch."

I asked what they were talking about.

"A large oceanic white tip just swam right up behind you as you were coming up the ladder and veered off about a foot away from your tanks."

"Yeah. Right. B***s***!" I retorted.

Then a diver who had been underwater came up the ladder, spit out his reg, looked at me, and said, "I thought you were going to be attacked by that shark."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom