Taxi pimps? Wtf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned a long time ago that trying to stop them with your clever wit or sarcasm or insult is the least effective way to get them to stop. Just no gracias, or as some prefer "quizas manana" and keep walking. At least these guys are trying to get your money legally and not jumping you on a back street or busting into your room to take it.

I learned a long time ago that trying to stop them with your clever wit or sarcasm or insult is the least effective way to get them to stop. Just no gracias, or as some prefer "quizas manana" and keep walking. At least these guys are trying to get your money legally and not jumping you on a back street or busting into your room to take it.

Street hustlers? I simply ignore them all together these days. No "No Gracias" anymore. They are looking for an exchange and engagement to get started. If totally ignored they will direct their focus to next tourist walking up the street.

With regard to Taxis, know your zones and the cost for the ride ahead of time... Then when you approach the Taxi driver you should state that you want to go to _________ and add es en Zona #____ and ask if _____ pesos es bueno (tacking on 20 pesos for a tip to your offer which is more than any local would do as locals don't tip taxi drivers). They then know you aren't a cruise ship touron and know your're including a tip with your offer. If the driver says "No" then you keep walking and after a few steps they'll usually say "OK" unless they want to sit and wait for a sucker that may come or may not come. Then, when getting in the cab (my wife and I travel together) I sit in the front passenger seat and my wife site in the back seat. I was told many years ago that by sitting in the front passenger seat it speaks to cultural values in that "You're not my servant for this ride and we are equals". Then when you start chatting with the driver with your best attempt at Spanish or in English if you don't know any Spanish I think one will find the driver more engaging to the best of his English abilities and if you speak some decent Spanish highly engaged. 99% of those from the 1st world are so used to getting in the back of taxis that they automatically do it in Coz as well. The act of me as a tourist sitting in the front seat beside the driver with my wife in the back seat speaks unsaid volumes according to what I was told long ago. It makes sense to me and I've always enjoyed the rides we've taken with our taxi drivers.

Reactions: BRT
I have had generally good experiences with taxi drivers in Coz, and most of them very pleasant. Street vendors have never been much of an annoyance. One funny incident. My husband and I were walking south, we were hot and very tired. We came up to the back of a very long taxi line at the ferry pier. We really didnt want to walk to the front, and tried to get a ride with the last taxi. The 2d to last taxi got out of his car and argued with the driver that we were his fare. At that point, we could see a domino of arguments, and learned our lesson. We began walking to the front of the line. The 2d last taxi driver followed us, insisting that we get in his taxi. No, gracias.

I would not be the least bit surprised if, especially at CUN, that some of those people speak 7 or 8 different languages. Worth a try though.
How about “onay raciasgay eniorsay.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom