Panasonic LUMIX ft7 backscatter advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirstjjj

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

Really hoping to get some advice. I’m very new to underwater photography and have recently purchased the Panasonic LUMIX FT7 (I’m starting to regret my choice). I’m really struggling to get the right settings down for underwater. It has an underwater mode but this only seems helpful for colour and macro shots. If I want to take a photo of someone/scene then it will 100% always focus on little particles (without flash/strobe). I have tried most things but as I’m new to even photography in general I’m struggling a bit!
So if anyone has any advice/tips on:
-this particular cameras settings for underwater.
-how to stop it focusing on plankton???
-basic tips on how to take good pictures underwater

Thanks for bearing with me and I hope I’ve explained myself properly!

I'm not familiar with this camera, but in simplest terms, the autofocus works using contrast. You can try to coach the camera into autofocusing correctly by getting close to your subject, shooting in lighter conditions, focusing on an area of your buddy with clear contrasts/shapes, etc.

Here's an overview of basic manual settings: Basic Settings for Underwater Photography

The underwater mode on the camera likely just affects the color (white balance). For smaller subjects, external lighting like strobes and video lights will start helping you produce the images you see folks posting online.

Hope this helps!

A number of things to try, focus on your hand then move it progressively further away, focusing each time, or try your fin. Or if you have a torch shine it on something about the same distance away or focus on your buddies torch - trying to create something with very high contrast for the camera to focus on. If you are not at the widest setting zoom out - focus and zoom back in again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom