Re-New, and re-addicted :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnocerin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All -
I joined the forum back in 2013 when I originally certified in the muddy pea soup of the Connecticut coastline, and after about 5 dives decided to move south for work. Did 1-2 shore dives in Destin, FL, and then life got in the way. Moved to CA in 2016 and found that somewhere along the moves some critter found my BC and ate an unrepairable hole in the bladder of my BCD. Fast forward to earlier this year when planning for a trip to Fiji, which became a Fiji, New Zealand, and Australia (GBR) trip, so I ordered a new copy of the same BCD I had (loved it). Now here I sit on a plane from Cairns to Sydney having done 2 dives in Nadi Fiji, and 2 dives at the Great Barrier Reef. I am totally re-hooked on diving and plan to work my way up to Advanced Adventure Diver or Advanced Diver. Currently I have SDI Open Water and TDI Nitrox Diver Certs, and look forward to doing the deep water and wreak training. Especially since the Fiji Dive was max depth ~70ft, and I would love to have more learning and practice at the depth, as I made a rookie mistake and popped a very minor blood vessel in my eye from mask squeeze.

So I guess I have rambled bit, but look forward to meeting folks and learning from others here. Open for new dive buddies in NorCal / South Bay : California.

Hi All -
I joined the forum back in 2013 when I originally certified in the muddy pea soup of the Connecticut coastline, and after about 5 dives decided to move south for work. Did 1-2 shore dives in Destin, FL, and then life got in the way. Moved to CA in 2016 and found that somewhere along the moves some critter found my BC and ate an unrepairable hole in the bladder of my BCD. Fast forward to earlier this year when planning for a trip to Fiji, which became a Fiji, New Zealand, and Australia (GBR) trip, so I ordered a new copy of the same BCD I had (loved it). Now here I sit on a plane from Cairns to Sydney having done 2 dives in Nadi Fiji, and 2 dives at the Great Barrier Reef. I am totally re-hooked on diving and plan to work my way up to Advanced Adventure Diver or Advanced Diver. Currently I have SDI Open Water and TDI Nitrox Diver Certs, and look forward to doing the deep water and wreak training. Especially since the Fiji Dive was max depth ~70ft, and I would love to have more learning and practice at the depth, as I made a rookie mistake and popped a very minor blood vessel in my eye from mask squeeze.

So I guess I have rambled bit, but look forward to meeting folks and learning from others here. Open for new dive buddies in NorCal / South Bay : California.

Welcome to the board and welcome back to diving!

Welcome to Scubaboard. Read us to your heart's content. You'll be surprised how you can learn here and it's a fun place to hang out too.

Welcome to SB from a Nova Scotian. And surprisingly, one who is extremely familiar with shore diving in BOTH Connecticut (each summer) and Destin (some winters as "snowbirds"). With all the dive sites around, that's quite a coincidence.

Welcome back to ScubaBoard! What a great way to be re-initiated!

Hi Everyone,
Figured I would check in and say hi! Since the last post, I did some great diving in St Thomas, visited and talked with a bunch of the NorCal local dive shops and completed the online education for the SDI Advanced Adventure Diver. Met with the instructors yesterday to start planning for my checkout dives and more practice and learning. I will likely do the required 5 dives over the next month, and am working with my instructor to determine the best order of the full specialities. I have decided I want to do the full specialities (beyond the AAD) in the following to start:
  • Underwater navigation
  • deep diving
  • Advanced buoyancy
  • Night
  • Wreck
I have also joined a local dive club that alternates shore and not dives every two weeks. To clarify, I am not just “collecting cards” but want to learn, hence why I took my time to choose the right shop and instructors. Yes, I will end up with a card collection as a byproduct, but it’s not my goal. In fact my true goal is to be able to be skilled enough to be able to certify in the correct manner to some day be able to do search and rescue.
I understand the emotional overhead of this but feel very strongly about being able to provide this service. Approximately 20 years ago, my brother was killed in a boating accident and if it were not for the search and rescue divers, my family would not have had the closure that his body recovery provided.

I know this is a long road, and do not plan to cut any corners, and would love any pointers and/or guidance.

P.s open to meeting other divers in NorCal looking for dive buddys!

Love and bubbles,
Jess

Back
Top Bottom