Dive operator rec for Amed, Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GratefulDiver11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be in Amed for about a week next month. Anyone have recommendations on a dive operator? I like to get up to Tulamben at least a day or two, but it looks like all the diver centers in Amed make the trip. Last time in Amed/Tulamben I did all shore diving, so this trip I'd like to get to some sites only accessible by boat. TIA. Peace.

If you like to go to sites like Bunutan wall and the advanced drifts situated in the southern part of Amed, I'd suggest then going with operations that have their own boats or the ones located in Abang/Aas parts, not the backpackers fundive aimed dive centres of Amed/Jemeluk.
I know TwoFish have their speedboat and can ply to Selang, I arranged this with them a couple of years ago.
Otherwise Baliku dive centre is located just in front of the japanese wreck, which means quite southernmost of the long Amed stretch, they can organize such dives, I dived with them some 6 years ago.
I guess Bali dive trek which is also aiming to technical diving can organize drift diving too but I cannot tell from first hand experience.
I would recommand mailing them first so they can organize whichever type of diving you want ahead. they'll confirm whether they can do it be aware most of Amed divers are mostly looking for one or two fundives, not really the kind of hardcore divers)

Luko, thanks so much for the advice. I'll definitely look into those operators on the south end of the strip. I wasn't aware there were any out that far. There was a long thread earlier in the year (started by discouraging someone from trying to dive all over Bali from Sanur or Kuta) and I saw you gave some great advice. Also someone mentioned Two Fish and Eco Dive on that thread, so I'll check them out as well.
Anyone else out there have any recommendations (or operators to stay away from)?

I think you will find that most, if not all of the regulars on this board who live in Indonesia or travel here frequently love diving in Bali...and almost always never dive out of Amed.

I think you will find that most, if not all of the regulars on this board who live in Indonesia or travel here frequently love diving in Bali...and almost always never dive out of Amed.
Why do you think that is Matts ?

Ouch! Well, I certainly appreciate the honesty. I had no idea it was considered second tier. I'll plan on making more trips up to Tulamben then, and maybe even try to get to Pandangbai. I realize the distances involved but my traveling partner isn't a diver and wasn't keen on staying in Tulamben. Last trip to Bali she almost went crazy staying in Lembongan (while I was loving it). Thanks for the advice!

Bali Dive Trek has a boat or can arrange for one. They have a Tech Instructor Trainer Trainer so they can teach most, if not all, tech courses up to Tech Instructor Trainer.

... my traveling partner isn't a diver and wasn't keen on staying in Tulamben. Last trip to Bali she almost went crazy staying in Lembongan (while I was loving it). Thanks forly, operatio the advice!

That really is the toughest part about diving Indonesia- traveling with someone who does not dive. The best diving does not include much of anything for those who do not. I dont blame your partner at all as staying in Tulamben and not diving would bore most people to tears. Good on you for making the sacrifice and ensuring she is happier. The downside is you will be gone much longer when you go to dive Tulamben (as much as 4 or 5 hours).

This is why I tell people the best place to go with nondiving people is Lombok's Gili Air or Gili Trawangan. There is something for everyone...far more so than anywhere in Bali.

Why do you think that is Matts ?

Because just up the road is Tulamben and just down the road is Padang Bai. Both offer more and better diving and, as important, operators who cater to divers. Most of the operators in Amed target a different demographic. That does not mean there are not good dives and operators in Amed. Heck, the reef next to the Japanese Wreck is often full of amazing macro. You just may have to swim through an absolute ****-show of backpackers at the same time. I will for sure dive Amed again someday, but if I am coming to hardcore dive Padang Bai and Tulamben make much more sense.

This is why I tell people the best place to go with nondiving people is Lombok's Gili Air or Gili Trawangan. There is something for everyone...far more so than anywhere in Bali.

We'll have to look into Lombok next time then. Thanks!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom