ATTENTION UW PHOTOGRAPHERS:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s a nice camera you have there. It’d be a shame if anything were to happen to it.

Maybe Mexico believes the reefs are getting trampled by too many divers with cameras bigger than they can handle gracefully. Similar opinions have been voiced in these forums.
:gas:

Just returned from a live-a-board in Sea of Cortez. Landed in San Jose del Cabo. One of our group with a big DSLR set-up had to pay $132. "Professional fee" was the reason. Didn't matter what he said about photography being only a hobby. He's good but not a professional. Another in our group with the same set-up was let go. My point and shoot Canon s100 received no interest. Just an FYI.

So can i just show them grand collection of crappy photos as my 'don't shake me down' resume?
"Look, here's the back of my lens cap - if I was a pro I would have taken that off before getting in the water."
"Here's one where my strobes didn't fire.... and another one... and another one...." (My TTL converter just arrived today... I'm thrilled...)
"Here's my 4,000 image gallery of blurry fish asses. It's art." That should keep them busy....

Maybe Mexico believes the reefs are getting trampled by too many divers with cameras bigger than they can handle gracefully. Similar opinions have been voiced in these forums.
:gas:
As opposed to DSD participants with GoPros on a stick? :popcorn::poke::poke::wink:

Pure 2.5rd world extortion. Bonaire has a diver tax. Same for everyone, easy to get, there you go.
This kind of system that is impossible to validate, is full of loop-holes for local extortion, and is erratically (at best) enforced is simply not appropriate.And very very much Mx.

Boycott Mx until they get their head out of their....uhhh, wallet.

Boycott Mx until they get their head out of their....uhhh, wallet.

Yup... Off the list.

Mexico is the one place I've dived that I will not return to. I shoot with a Nikon D3x in a Subal housing. I've never sold a single photo but I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay a fee for being a "professional" photographer.

Interesting. I was just looking at the Los Cabos airport site and there is no mention. I suspect it's a shakedown and the money is going in their pockets. This happens from time-to-time. I had them insist that I couldn't take a large bottle of Vanilla in my checked baggage once, I just kept asking them to show me the law in the books and asking for their supervisors. They finally got frustrated and let me proceed.
I'll try to find out more directly from the Mexican officials at DEMA. It's one thing to charge a park fee, it's another to charge for a certain type of camera. It is true that in the US you cannot do commercial photography at parks without a permit/fee however.

I flew into Los Cabos at the end of last May to take a Nautilus liveaboard to Los Revillagigedos. I was not asked about camera equipment at customs, it was in my plain carry on.

Has anyone been able to find a specific written policy pertaining to this issue? I was unable to find much on the Mexican government site regarding entry: Welcome to Mexico

This guidance states you are allowed: Two photo or video cameras; photographic material

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom