Newbie Reg Question: Port Plugs in or Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this addresses the painfully inadequate instruction that goes with certification now. Thinking back, I don`t think I knew anything about port plugs either but should have. Hell, I thought it was almost magic that happened inside a second stage that enabled me to breathe under water. I have seen a lot of people that were clueless to a lot of things they shouldn`t be because an instructor just wanted to get paid. Just glad the OP thought to ask. Too many people don`t and have a bad experience.

My concern is that the OP, who is asking on a forum whether the unused ports should be plugged, apparently assembled the reg set themselves. If you aren't sure, perhaps go to your LDS and have them assemble, check, and tune your life support equipment.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please note that when assembling most regulators, the first stage body is only chrome plated brass, while the hose connections are chrome plated steel. It is very easy to strip the thread of your first stage by overtightening, thus converting your new first stage into a paperweight.
As others have noted above, a visit to a dive shop for assistance is not unwise, even if it costs a few dollars.

....I can see that the little intricasies of equipment configuration are easy to miss....

Call me crazy but I wouldn’t characterize an unplugged port on a first stage as “little intricacies”.

Whether you can switch the Venturi lever on your second stage from left to right is an intricacy.

An unblocked hole in your first stage is not.

Just bought my first set of reg. I've connected all hoses to their appropriate places.

I have 1 unused HP port and 2 LP ports. Do I keep the port plugs in those holes or remove them?

Yes, I read the manual but it doesn't stipulate.

I'm guessing I keep them in, otherwise the air will leak when I connect to a tank?

Never really paid attention to those rental regs I've been using!

Agardner, if you’re having to ask this question, you should visit your local dive shop to have them confirm you assembled everything correctly. They should do a dunk test under pressure.

more like common sense that you don't want extra holes in things when not in use
Clearly you haven't thought of the newbie brain question... perhaps they shouldn't be there and if they are when the cylinder is pressurised, they turn into bullets...

I don’t remember port plugs and port sizes during OW certification, just how to assemble regulator, tank, BC, inflator hose. It wasn’t until I bought my own regulators and changed hoses that this became self evident. With rental gear the regulators and hoses are presented “as is” for use.

This ^^^^.

you should visit your local dive shop to have them confirm you assembled everything correctly

Indeed I plan on doing exactly that.

Thanks all, asked and answered. I think we can close this down now.

We cover that in detail in our NAUI entry level scuba course. This should have been explained in his certification course. I can't understand why not and why it would need a "course" to cover this most basic and essential information.

I cover basic regulator configuration (LPI, First Stage, Second Stages, SPG, etc) but not anything specific to port plugs. While it would take little time to mention them, I am not sure that it is specific material that is critical or will be remembered when there is so much else going on for a new student. I think most new divers who start to assemble their own regulators will realize the purpose of the port plugs or simply ask like the OP did.

I think most new divers who start to assemble their own regulators will realize the purpose of the port plugs or simply ask like the OP did.

Yes, if the instructor didn't mention anything about the port plugs, they would seen them when they were handling the regulator during equipment set up. It is a puzzle why the OP doesn't know what they do and what to do with them.

I'm trying to fix a problem; you are trying to assign blame for why there is a problem.

Even if the instructor didn't mention anything about port plugs, I can't imagine why an instructor wouldn't in a certification course, don't you find it even a little odd that the OP didn't learn anything by handling the first stage while setting up their equipment and seeing the port plugs in place during confined and open water training? Don't you think that this opens a big door/window for questioning this issue? He had the first stage in his hands when assembling his scuba unit and the port plugs were right there plugging the unused ports and he didn't notice them during all of his time in the pool and openwater?? Why is he assembling his regulator himself and not the LDS?

Back
Top Bottom