Newbie Reg Question: Port Plugs in or Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave them out. Hook it up to a tank. Turn it on (Mod edit) just a little tiny bit. Watch, listen, and learn.

Notice the HP port. very.....very....small hole. It IS HIGH pressure, but little actual volume of air can actually get through it.
OTOH, the LP port if open can empty a tank in minutes. It is designed to pass huge amounts of air.

Correct...but not a good idea...

A 3000/3442 PSI uncontrolled pressure flow though the first stage...can and will damage soft 1st stage internal components...''O'' rings...seals...thrust washers...diaphragms...etc...

W.W...

Port plugs are not required.

I didn't have any on the old doublehose I learned on, so I guess not.

Even if the instructor didn't mention anything about port plugs, I can't imagine why an instructor wouldn't in a certification course, don't you find it even a little odd that the OP didn't learn anything by handling the first stage while setting up their equipment and seeing the port plugs in place during confined and open water training?

Considering today training is done online, one instructor has a day for confined water, then it's off on vacation where another instructor gives the four OW dives, it's a wonder that information more important than that is not lost.

Bob

wonder that information more important than that is not lost.

I am sure that there is considering the way things are going. I never took online training as a substitute for live classroom training. It can supplement but not in place of the classroom.

I am sure that there is considering the way things are going. I never took online training as a substitute for live classroom training. It can supplement but not in place of the classroom.

I liked the classroom model my OW instructor used, homework was given and expected to be done, the assignment was discussed and any questIons answered, a quiz was given then any questions missed were discussed. The rest of the evening, which was most of it, was talking about diving. Discussing what wasn't covered yet in the book was off limits, but that left a lot of room to talk.

The classes were 6 weeks Thursdays, 4 Saturdays at the pool, 3 Sunday's at the ocean. The last two of the pool sessions were the same weekend as the first two ocean sessions. There were a lot of details, like port plugs, that could be covered in the class, and I learned a few things, although I'd been diving for years before the class.

It was a NAUI/PADI class, using PADI materials. I was under special requirements in order to get my cert because of my diving experience. And in 1980 it cost more than I could get an OW class now.

Bob

I liked the classroom model my OW instructor used, homework was given and expected to be done, the assignment was discussed and any questIons answered, a quiz was given then any questions missed were discussed. The rest of the evening, which was most of it, was talking about diving. Discussing what wasn't covered yet in the book was off limits, but that left a lot of room to talk.

The classes were 6 weeks Thursdays, 4 Saturdays at the pool, 3 Sunday's at the ocean. The last two of the pool sessions were the same weekend as the first two ocean sessions. There were a lot of details, like port plugs, that could be covered in the class, and I learned a few things, although I'd been diving for years before the class.

It was a NAUI/PADI class, using PADI materials. I was under special requirements in order to get my cert because of my diving experience. And in 1980 it cost more than I could get an OW class now.

Bob

Mine, fortunately, was very similar, Padi. The instructor cared. I was lucky. Ditto my DM course, the instructor was a hard ass, but I learnt a lot and knew I "earned " the cert. I failed a lot of things first time around. He said to me, it's my name against your cert and if you're going to be helping other divers you better know what you're doing. I respected him. Dribble over...

Back
Top Bottom