Mares Genius or Aqualung i770R ?? which one should I buy ??

Mares Genius or Aqualung i770R ??

• Mares Genius

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Aqualung i7770R

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a new but very excited diver. I just finished my certification and currently working on getting my dive computer dive.

Any suggestions regarding the above mentioned computers ??

Really appreciate the help !!

The genius is a smaller version of the icon hd. Which I owned. Very good computer bright with all information in view. Compass was nice too. The i770 is nice never dove it but we have one in the shop I checked out. I ended up getting the scubapro g2.

Few people will answer your poll, because the true answer is if you’re going to spend that much on a dive computer, you should get a Shearwater Perdix.

if you’re just starting, and have the money to spend, that’s the right choice. If I were you, I would probably get an aqualung i300c. In my opinion, there really isn’t much reason to spend 300-700 on a dive computer. Either buy one for less than 300 (any brand, really. Some like Mares Puck, or Suunto Zoop, or oceanic geo, but al function similarly), or buy a Shearwater.

I've owned a few Mares computers. 1st the Mares Nemo Titanium with is a watched styled computer (nice looking, but had to keep sending back to Mares to change the battery) then the Nemo Wide which was a dedicated dive computer. I've done many dives with the Nemo wide and it had no issues, so from my experience their computers seem reliable.
However, with my ongoing dive education, I decided I needed to move to a computer using the ZHL-16 algorithm and was pleased to see that Mares now had a computer with it, the Genius (the previous were using their propitiatory RGBM algorithm), so that went to the top of my list. However, like you'll be experiencing here, there were many recommendations on considering the Shearwater Perdix AI or Teric, so I widen my research to consider them.
After much consideration I bought the Perdix AI. It's reliable and trusted enough to be used by a lot of tech divers, so it will certainly be good enough for my rec diving. I can configure it to show me exactly what I want to see on the main screen and what sealed the deal was hearing (and seeing on this forum) how good Shearwater's customer service was.

HTH.

Hi there,

I'm a new but very excited diver. I just finished my certification and currently working on getting my dive computer dive.

Any suggestions regarding the above mentioned computers ??

Really appreciate the help !!

What did you end up going with and how has your experience been using it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom