Back in the saddle after a long hiatus.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudBug

Registered
Reaction score
Joined this board in 2005 and this is my third post, so it's been a bit.

Some background.

I certified in 1984 and did a lot of diving in the Texas/Oklahoma area. Did some competition spear fishing for awhile.

Then life stepped in. I got married and started a family. My scuba stuff pretty much set idle except for two or three trips for the next 27 years, we focused on boating as a family activity. I can still out ski my kids.

But the kids have moved on and wife and I have retired early. The boat was sold and we purchased a fifth wheel to do our traveling in, have driven all over northwest USA and down into Florida.

I have decided to get back into scuba at 60 years of age. I'm in average healthy shape, am dieting to loose some of the ballast I have gained.

So anyway, it looks like my regulators are in fine shop, having a local dive shop service them. I have some of the Luxfer tanks that were a concern years back but have been told if they pass the Hydro and VIP they will be fine.

I purchased a ScubaPro BCV as mine was 34 years old. I looked nice but that is a lot of age on rubber.

The new BC uses the weight panels inside the BC itself, apparently lead weight belts are not a thing anymore.

I will be taking a refresher course soon. The dive shop wants me to do the beginner class, as if I had never dived. (Last dive was eight years ago and I did fine) They say it includes a section on dive computers and with my new BC there will be a learning curve.

The cost between the refresher and the entry level is pretty great, as is the time requirement of having to do open water dives again. I'm leaning more to the refresher.

Anyway, I'll be looking for a wrist watch dive computer without air integration but perhaps with Nitrox charts included.

Anyone have any suggestions about what I planning? Would especially like to hear from anyone who has done a similar encore effort.

Thanks,
Mudbug

I did the same thing a few years ago, after about the same interval and age. The refresher will be fine assuming you have retained the info and just need to Get current. If not start over. It isn’t worth cutting corners.
Watch the board here for sales to pop up. I bought a new old stock Zeagle N2Ition 3 computer for a steal a few years ago.

There are lots of PDCs (personal dive computers) and most deal with NitrOx. The Board is in love with Shearwater and so am I.

Have fun getting back in the swing of things. That's why we dive, anyway.

Yeah, right now I am looking at used PDC's....I'm not sure I need air integration as the cost and added complexity is a concern. I am needing a mask with either corrective lenses or stick's for my current mask. Do the stick on corrective lenses work well and stay in place?

Yeah, right now I am looking at used PDC's....I'm not sure I need air integration as the cost and added complexity is a concern. I am needing a mask with either corrective lenses or stick's for my current mask. Do the stick on corrective lenses work well and stay in place?
Many have replaceable lenses where you can insert a diopter.

I really like my Oceanic Geo 4.0. It's bluetooth and downloads your dives to an app on your phone. It does everything I need it to do as a recreational diver and it's easy to read with my prescription lenses!! I will be 60 in July. Welcome back to the sport!

I came back about 10 years ago after a long hiatus. simple inexpensive wrist computer and nitrox were quickly added. Replaced my reg and bcd. Still dive with weight belt though. Welcome back.

I have some of the Luxfer tanks that were a concern years back but have been told if they pass the Hydro and VIP they will be fine.
I don’t think that is correct. If the tank is made from 6351, there is a test that can be done, but IMO, it’s not worth it. Most dive shops won’t fill Al tanks made prior to 1988 due to concerns about the 6351 alloy. It will even be extremely difficult to get an older Catalina tank filled, and Catalina never used 6351.

The cost between the refresher and the entry level is pretty great, as is the time requirement of having to do open water dives again. I'm leaning more to the refresher.

Anyway, I'll be looking for a wrist watch dive computer without air integration but perhaps with Nitrox charts included.
Refresher vs. new cert really depends on you. If you are comfortable after the refresher, that’s all you need. See if the shop will work with you on the cost by applying the refresher cost toward certification if needed.

Regarding the wrist computer. Lots of options, and unless you get a really old one, it will work for Nitrox as well as air. At least for up to 40% mixes. For ease of use, I’d recommend computers with at least two buttons. The single button models work, but can be a pain to navigate.

Do you have a Nitrox cert? If not, I’d recommend one. Tanks and valves would need to be cleaned and prepped for Nitrox, and maybe O2 depending on how the shop fills. Regulator will probably be good up to 40%.

As long as you dove a few times throughout the hiatus and you feel fine, there's no need to take the certification class again. Using a wrist computer is super simple. Modern BCs with integrated weights are also very easy to figure out. You may, at some point, want to look at other types of BCs, like a simple backplate and wing. IMO the simpler and more minimal, the better.

As far as training goes, I would consider taking some advanced or specialty courses, maybe on a dive trip at some beautiful location so you can practice the skills. Even just hiring an instructor to guide you and make suggestions would be a benefit.

Thanks for the input. I will look at the two button PDC's. I will do the online class on whatever unit I purchase to have at least that much experience.
Will have to check further about the tank filling and all that.

Back
Top Bottom