"old school" training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drjtprice

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The recent thread about the conditions in Monterey where a fatality occurred has made me really think hard about the way I learned, versus how diving seems to be taught now. I did my basic, AOW and Dive Coordinator back in the 70s with NASDS (now SSI). We had substantial amounts of theory, pool work, then a set of boat dives, then a set of beach dives. I left diving for a while and when I came back did refreshers and some 'specialties' not because I needed them (except Nitrox) but because it was a way to have some certs that (even though specialty) dive boats in various parts of the world would recognize (most have never heard of NASDS).

The difference between the amount of training I received in my basic and AOW and what I see now is substantial. I'd like my wife to learn to dive, but would much rather she receive a more thorough training - theory, pool work and then ocean. Not do a little bit here, then a specialty cert there. Do any of the organizations teach a more thorough 'old school' type course anymore?

If driving a car was like current scuba certification it would be mass mayhem on the roads. Basic, here is how you start the car, steer, brake and try not to crash. Now, you need to take specialty courses in parking, driving at night, driving on the freeway - but in between just go driving.

It is generally stated that you dive under conditions similar to your training. I was certified in 1970 by LA County, We did 4 beach dives in LA County and 2 boat dives at Catalina. I was well prepared for my 10 years of diving in Southern California. I was recertified with my son in Grand Cayman in 1997. A new diver would have been prepared for relatively easy boat diving in the Caribbean or similar venue.

I trained in a cold, low viz Midwestern quarry and have gone on to dive the Great Lakes. Drysuit in conjunction with OW. Someone trained in the tropics would have a very difficult time here.

I think that approach is fine until something goes wrong, or seriously wrong. Yes, it covers conditions, generally, although I have been in heavy currents on the Great Barrier Reef that a diver trained in typical tropical locations would be caught out by. One can argue that whether some of the theory is necessary (gas laws etc., now covered in the Science of Diving specialty) we spent a lot of time in the pool on being comfortable with things going wrong (and did ditch and don in AOW, as well as black out mask drills). That training, I think, has made me a far better diver and meant what I learned has stayed with me longer, than just how to handle what goes right, and niggling little issues like mask flooding.

I saw the old training, and it put off my eventual certification for decades. They were on their knees at the beginning and did all sorts of crap that was never needed. My first intro to diving back in 1969 was far less than any course given today. I survived. When I finally took a course to get certed, I was amazed at how more efficient it had become.

@drjtprice since you're in the UK, checking out BSAC will at least give a much more thorough training schedule than most of the agencies. GUE will give the most thorough, but it is very difficult to find GUE Rec 1 courses since very few people are willing to pay for it. I would start with BSAC and go from there

Nostalgia is just not what it used to be.

Did egg flower soup and a plate of lo mein come along with that lunch special?

My personal experience has been to do NAUI training in the mid 80s and years of warm water diving for vacation. Stopped diving for 25 years while living in the high mountains. Last year I did PADI open water with my step son as he was interested in diving. All of a sudden I now have a dry suit and lots of new equipment and am diving at least monthly here in cold water. The 80s training in comparison with recent training was not that different. I believe the differences in training are dictated quite a bit by the motivation of the instructor. The outcome also depended on my outlook as well. The first time I wanted a quick certificate for viewing what the reefs look like without holding my breath. I was more interested in enjoying a vacation as opposed to becoming a good diver. The recent certification was with the intention of actually becoming a better diver. I expect to take several classes, dive only with instructors or others very experienced for 20 dives and more. Hopefully at that point consider myself a decent diver. My opinion is that having a diversity of instructors for the diversity of potential students is a good thing. The key could be flexible systems that match up students with the instructors who offer what they are looking for. This way both parties can have a successful experience.

I took all my courses between 2005 and 2011, so only know about yesteryear from what I hear & read.
Only comment I feel qualified to make is that basic important rescue skills should (still?) be in the OW course--and it should be longer (and cost more) to accommodate that. Some disagree saying it's too much for today's beginner to absorb.

Back
Top Bottom