User changeable o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does it have to be a specific one or can I add the same I do for camera housing and dive light o-rings?
I use an 02 safe grease on all my regulator o-rings that is safe for breathing applications, specifically christolube mcg111. I have used it on o-rings for non-regulator related things.

I have this nifty little container I found that I keep my o-rings in. I bring o-rings for hp hoses, lp hoses, hp spools, yoke and din valves, my strobes, my ai transmitter, my flashlight, a tube of christolube and a tube of grease for the camera stuff. Whole thing is about the size of a deck of cards.
IMG_20200228_090931.jpg

The OP might want to get some knowledge from some formal training (or at lest some quality reading), so important things he doesn't know enough to ask about get covered. For example, which durometer o-rings are recommended for which locations.

So none of the o-rings is user replaceable without training? If I have a leak in the valve, it is not possible to know that the appropriate o-ring is X, buy it and replace it?

All of the ones on the DGX list are user replaceable

With minimal (minimal as in marginally above zero) knowledge? From what was mentioned, the second stage ones are trickier...

I use an 02 safe grease on all my regulator o-rings that is safe for breathing applications, specifically christolube mcg111. I have used it on o-rings for non-regulator related things.

Should I grease the inflation hose o-ring that came with my new wing before connecting to first stage?

Some grease will not hurt. But these are STATIC O-rings, once they seat under pressure, they will stay there for many years without problems.
What can happen, if they are not lubricated, is that the rubber will stitch to the metal so much that, when the hose is unscrewed, some rubber will remain attached to the metal, with two bad consequences:
1) The O-ring will be damaged, hence it will not seal well anymore
2) The conical surface in the reg will be "dirty" of rubber particles, hence it will need to be cleaned/polished before installing a new hose (or plug)

Grease all hose O rings both ends.

You can change all hose, port plug and DIN fittings without "training".

Use a brass O ring pick such as those sold by DGX. Take old O ring off, put a dab of suitable grease on your finger and roll the new O ring in it, a little goes a long way, just enough to put a shine on the O ring.

With minimal (minimal as in marginally above zero) knowledge? From what was mentioned, the second stage ones are trickier...
Doing some reading and taking some time to get yourself to a place above minimal knowledge is recommended.

Most of the o-rings that we're talking about here are hose o-rings. It's about as simple as unscrew hose, remove o-ring with your fingers, replace. The hp spools are tricky because they're so tiny. Tank valve o-rings need to be unseated first, which takes a little finesse.

The worst thing you can do is try to remove an o-ring with a steel tool and end up gouging/marring the o-ring seat. This is where you'll want to do a bit of research to learn the proper techniques.

So none of the o-rings is user replaceable without training? If I have a leak in the valve, it is not possible to know that the appropriate o-ring is X, buy it and replace it?
I'd say you do not appear to know enough to do it safely.

I'd say you do not appear to know enough to do it safely.

Fair enough. Which reading do you recommend?

Doing some reading and taking some time to get yourself to a place above minimal knowledge is recommended.

Most of the o-rings that we're talking about here are hose o-rings. It's about as simple as unscrew hose, remove o-ring with your fingers, replace. The hp spools are tricky because they're so tiny. Tank valve o-rings need to be unseated first, which takes a little finesse.

The worst thing you can do is try to remove an o-ring with a steel tool and end up gouging/marring the o-ring seat. This is where you'll want to do a bit of research to learn the proper techniques.

Not planning to go anywhere near anything more complicated than "unscrew hose, remove o-ring with your fingers, replace".

Btw, should I ask someone with experience to attach the hose of my new wing?

Fair enough. Which reading do you recommend?

Not planning to go anywhere near anything more complicated than "unscrew hose, remove o-ring with your fingers, replace".

Btw, should I ask someone with experience to attach the hose of my new wing?

At this stage it's probably advisable to get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you. You should ask to watch so you can do it yourself next time. It's not hard at all once you know how. I'll send you some files to read in the next day or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom