Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what most operators want to happen, if you make a successful claim then perfect.

If you don't manage to make a claim, maybe contact the operator after this has all died down and who knows what they might be able to do for you on a future booking. I'm not suggesting linking any future act of 'kindness' to the booking you lost, i'm just saying that if we keep cool and go through the motions and standard channels such as insurance then maybe at the point we all get over this virus we might all still be friends :)

I can agree with that. I think the overall displeasure I feel which I hope has not been too negative or apparent in this thread is that it feels like I am trying my best to do what I can to minimize my own losses. I am also keeping the operator in mind. I am not asking for a refund, nor do I feel like I am entitled to one. I want them to stay in business and I am also being realistic. I am trying to access claims through as many different avenues as I can but it is very disheartening and disappointing to know that no effort to help or flexibility is being made by some travel suppliers. Are they in their right? Sure, it's the official terms and conditions, I suppose. (Does that still apply if THEY cancel though?) This is definitely unprecedented and has hit us all by surprise to an extent. It's a crappy situation all around.

I had a trip with Jaya (Scuba Republic) from the 19th to 25th of March in Raja Ampat. Right now I was supposed to wake up for the morning dive. Instead I am stuck at my home looking at my screen and typing nonsense hoping that someone might be interested.

Anyway just before our scheduled departure from home (one week before the LoB) our flights became a mess and seeing that the situation was escalating fast I decided to cancel the whole trip. Given the time until the LoB (1 week) they initially refused any rebook or refund. Few days later my leave was officially recalled and I had to report back to work ASAP. That was enough for them. They promised a credit voucher to be used with any of their LoB within 18 or so months.

My friend/buddy decided to continue the trip and made it to Indonesia, but few days later he too had to abort and return back home due to fears that he couldn't make it back later. Also around that time it was announced that foreigners can't fly to Sorong etc. Scuba republic told him too that they will offer him a credit voucher/reschedule.

Till now we haven't got anything official yet, other than just few Viber messages.

Now about tickets etc:
- We had a short local flight from my home town to Athens/Greece which won't get refunded - we will get back only taxes (about 30 euros per person)
- We have canceled our flights from Athens/Greece to Jakarta/Indonesia return with Saudia airlines. Since the government of Saudi Arabia had put some strict restrictions for Indonesia, we were supposed to get full refund. I have applied for it 10 days now, but haven't heard from them since then.
- I have also canceled our Jakarta to Sorong return flights with Batik airlines. It was several days before the actual trip hence according to their standard cancellation policy, we are supposed to get 75% of the price minus 100kRp admin fees. Money are supposed to be credited some time within the next 3 months. Today I heard that they now have special corona virus cancellation terms (refund the total price minus 10% admin fees) but that was announced after we canceled them hence I doubt they will give us this.
- Swiss bell hotel in Sorong promtly canceled our reservation without charging my card.

Here is a rough estimate of moneys:
- Local Greek flights ~600 euros (for my family of 4) we get back about 120 euros
- Flights from Athens to Jakarta ~1200 euros (for my family of 4) we are supposed to get back full refund ie 1200 euros
- Flight from Jakarta to Sorong 300 euros (for 1 person). I get back about 220 euros
- LoB ~1500 euros (per person). I was offered reschedule.
Overal: I spend for this trip ~3600 and expected to get back ~1500 and a rescheduled LoB, hence a loss of about 600 euros.
Overall given the amount of trouble we saved I am pretty happy with the outcome - assuming we will get all these promises for refunds/reschedules materialized.

Lion Air Group based in Indonesia (Wings, Batik, Lion) is offering a refund less a 10% cancel fee and a 25,000 IDR (about $2USD) in administrative fees. I have a flight for April 22. FYI - that is much more generous than Garuda with whom I also have tickets for. Garuda is offering up to vouchers for future travel that must have travel completed by 3/31/2021. I just finished with my refund.

Here is the official policy. Terms & Conditions

*** Special Policy of COVID-19 outbreak

1. Applied for All Batik Air (ID), Lion Air (JT) and Wings Air (IW) flights.
  2. Allowed to make changes with these requirements below:
    1. 2.1. Maximum 2x change of Itinerary
    2. 2.2. Date changed not exceeding October 31, 2020
    3. 2.3. 1x waived Change Fee (CF), Fare difference applied
  3. For those customer that still not decide the date of change:
    1. 3.1. Allowed to OPEN DATE (maximum 3 months)
    2. 3.2. Contact agencies or Call center +62 21 6379-8000
    3. 3.3. Or, contact Lion Group representative office
  4. Refund policy will follow Force Majeure Refund policy
    1. 4.1. Refund fee 10% from basic fare

Alright, I just got final word, so I am ready to name and shame.

Dive Damai in Indonesia has just cancelled our April 19-30th Raja (Damai II) itinerary due to the travel restrictions and the fact that no customers would be physically able to get to the boat. They will not offer any refunds, nor will they reschedule affected passengers. They will keep our 100% paid-for trip (the Damai is a high end boat, we are talking ~6-7000$ per person) as a cancellation fee and have kindly send us a cancellation confirmation (via our travel agent), to file a claim.

For us this means at least a 20% loss of our money - IF the claim is successful, which probably is a big IF.

We had a wonderful time on the Damai II in 2018, but with this, we obviously will never be customers of theirs again and I will do my damndest to share my experience in every channel I can including when this is over. I will certainly do my research carefully once traveling is back on the cards and only choose LOB companies who have shown flexibility in this time.

Did you pay with credit card? If so charge back. They did not provide the service you paid for.

I am honestly quite surprised at how many operators will refuse a reschedule. Yes you lose out on the opportunity cost of booking someone else, but how often are you 100% full anyway? There will be a lag period once the situation stabilizes. People will want some buffer to see things are safe. So there will be a down period after travel bans are lifted. People who have paid already will probably be your only customers for a while.

I am also frankly shocked that there is no consideration that perhaps it's better to close down for a couple of weeks to protect the staff, or safeguard the reputation of the place. Everyone has to do their part from a public health perspective. If you get a confirmed case onsite you can say bye to any revenue for months or possibly years. HK disneyland closed down before any travel bans were in place for this reason.

You wouldn't believe how many people ask us to write fake letters saying they lost their camera on a trip. It amazes me every time.
I have heard so many similar stories from various operators!
Flooded housing and lost dive computers are the most common.
SHAME.

''O''...

Much easier to post what remains open as opposed to what is closed...and what remains open will not hold...

Air Canada has just laid off 5000 employees...

W...

Qantas 20,000

OK My situation was with one hotel operator who refused a refund but have of yesterday finally agreed to allow a reschedule in the next 18 months. My vacation was planned with a friend from the UK to dive in Bali. His airline Emirates offering vouchers. My airline EVA AIR offering full refunds.

All in all am very sad not to be able to dive as my brain is in vacation dive mode as this was planned last year. Good news is that when I can travel I will make a dive vacation. I want to dive in Bali but now looks like plan to dive without my friend in the UK as too difficult for him atm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom