Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not the water, it's the wind that get's you.

That's probably why I felt WARMER this month after I ditched the 1mm after a few days and just dived in swim trunks and lycra shirt.

I just got back from a Red Sea trip and tour of the Nile from Alexandria to the Sudan border, I never felt any danger and the people of Egypt were warm and welcoming. I would not be worried about going if I were you.

FWIW, my question arises from a comment made by @chillyinCanada which was preceded by other posts regarding water temps and wind.

From DAN:

Temperature and Bubble Formation
A number of factors affect the solubility of a gas in a liquid, such as inert gas in your blood after diving. Temperature is one of those factors. As the temperature increases, gases usually become less soluble in water solutions (such as blood). Thermal stress can contribute to bubble formation, which makes it one of the contributing factors in decompression sickness risk.

If you are cold after diving, you will have diminished circulation in your limbs due to blood vessel constriction. Hot tubs (or hot showers) will warm your extremities and restore circulation faster. If your inert gas load is small, the warming will help eliminate gas more quickly because of the improved blood flow. Larger inert gas loads can cause more problematic responses. Since the solubility of gas is inversely related to temperature, tissues will hold less in solution as they warm. Warming tissues with significant gas loads can promote bubble formation. Because superficial tissues warm before the increased blood flow happens, bubbles formed then can be problematic. These develop before regular circulation can remove them harmlessly.

There is no simple formula to compute what constitutes a minor, significant or substantial peripheral inert gas load. The conditions vary based on the individual as well as their thermal protection, physical activity and dive profile.

FROM ME:

After a couple of perfectly normal dives, I was relaxing and reading my book. Eventually, I noticed that I felt quite itchy and then in a bit, my lower back ached. I decided that a shower was just the ticket. A shower to get the salt particles off me that must be what was making me itchy and of course, a hot shower to help my aches. It wasn't long after the hot shower, that my stomach and hips started to be very painful and a look in the mirror revealed the Cutis Marmorata. I was bent. Quite a bit of time had elapsed after the dives and before the hot shower. Of course, my early symptoms were actually warnings of being bent but the shower made the pain and discomfort ever so much worse, for the reasons that DAN explains above.

NOW:

Let's get this thread back on topic please.

Were you guys diving in drysuits? What's water temp? Cold on boat?
I just did the northern route, the first week of December, and wore a 5 mm suit with a hooded vest. By the 16th of my 21 dives, I was starting to get a bit chilly, so I switched to a 7 mm and was very comfortable after that.

Also, FWIW, I saw no sign of Gaza-related tensions whatsoever in Hurghada or Cairo.

Also, FWIW, I saw no sign of Gaza-related tensions whatsoever in Hurghada or Cairo.
Same here, including Luxor and Aswan. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me, after my return, "did I feel safe?" and when I said "Absolutely" they would look at me with their jaws open.

Having just returned from a week in Hurghada, and as a jewish person who was born in Israel (no longer live there and not travelling with IL passport but nonetheless not hiding my origin) there wasn't a single moment in which I didn't feel safe.

And since it came up, water temperature was typically 26-27c with some dives around 25c, I was perfectly fine with a 2.5mm shorty, water temperature was almost always warmer than the outside.

Anyone heading to Hurghada experiencing liveaboard cancellations at all? Lots of hotel and resort deals down there. Any recommendations?

A drone was downed near the Egyptian Red Sea resort city of Dahab on Tuesday, in the second such incident in a month, two security sources told Reuters.

After hearing an explosion coming from the sea near Dahab, an object fill into the water, causing no damage or injuries, eyewitnesses told Reuters.

Earlier in December, Egyptian air defences shot down another suspected drone near Dahab, security sources had said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom