Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree with this. I would only expect a full refund if the issue could have been avoided by the operator. Fair resolution is a 100% value transfer to a future date IMO and only if the diver physically can’t get to the boat and it is sailing...I know it means they would have to accommodate a mad amount of divers in the future, but if an operator worked out they could stay afloat in 2021 onwards by adding 2 rescheduled guests to every trip going forward until they cleared the backlog, then I would be cool with that. If they told me it would happen and may take 24 months but I have that trip in the bank and they get to not go bankrupt, that’s all good with me.

How about 40% deal that Nautilus offered, do you think it’s fair?

I still disagree I’m afraid. If ‘I would like a refund’ is out of the terms and condition when I booked, then I don’t think the operator is required to give one. It would basically be a run on the cash of that business. Highly unlikely they would survive and I would prefer not to have companies start considering the ‘screw it, let’s just declare bankruptcy and start again when it all blows over’

How about 40% deal that Nautilus offered, do you think it’s fair?

If that was the ‘40% towards another trip’ then no... I don’t think it’s fair if the Mexican borders are closed and it’s impossible to get to the boat for your trip...

What is their plan anyway? Just take Mexicans on the trips for the next 12-24weeks? I’ve never seen a Mexican guest in a nautilus boat.. any boat that isn’t offering 100% future credit when they aren’t actually sailing is a no-no in my book as well...

Reactions: Dan
If that was the ‘40% towards another trip’ then no... I don’t think it’s fair if the Mexican borders are closed and it’s impossible to get to the boat for your trip...

What is their plan anyway? Just take Mexicans on the trips for the next 12-24weeks? I’ve never seen a Mexican guest in a nautilus boat.. any boat that isn’t offering 100% future credit when they aren’t actually sailing is a no-no in my book as well...

That’s what I meant, 40% towards another trip in the future. I agree with you on the rest of your comment.

I completely agree with @Ministryofgiraffes

It sounds like there is more to the story if it is based on the normal terms and conditions shared by @divedamai and they are abiding by their normal cancel/change policies. I appreciate you coming here to clarify your stance as I also want to ensure that everyone is also getting the correct information. Facts.

by the way, you will find most it not almost all (the vast majority) of travel insurance will not cover this health/epidemic/pandemic situation at all so a lot of people are going to be falling between the cracks. Even if there is coverage, it will be very specific if they will qualify based on the specific set of conditions in which a cancel or interruption is made. I am not at all saying the onus is then only on the operator to fix that but I am saying even the well insured and those with foresight to see the need to be insured won’t be covered and that this is an extremely unique, unprecedented situation that will require potentially unprecedented approaches from both sides.

I will one up and say I would be fine with a voucher credit and would even be fine paying a little extra for the difference in sailing/fare for the following year if there were one. I feel like meeting in the middle and out of the normal action is needed here. That would also help the operators and I would still get a rescheduled trip. Win win?

“Changes : Individuals: Should the reservation be altered 90 days or less before departure, 20% of the total invoice will be applied to cover administration costs. Full boat charter: Increases in the number of passengers will only be accepted between 180 and 90 days prior to departure. Cancellations : All cancellations made by the Guest/Agent will be done by registered post, facsimile transmission or electronic e-mail. Individuals: The operator reserves the right to charge an alteration or cancellation fee of USD500 per passenger for any cancellation or amendment made 180 prior or more the day of departure. A cancellation fee, of the equivalent to a 15% of the total invoice, will be applied if the cancellation is made between 180 and 91 days prior the date of departure No cancellation or alteration will be accepted 90 days or less from the day of departure. Full boat charter: No money will be refunded for any full boat charter bookings. Changes in Brochure : Dive Damai reserves the right to alter the prices printed in the brochure or any price list due to special circumstances. Nevertheless, the invoice of any already confirmed booking will never be altered. Dive Damai will inform all agents and publish the new rates on the web site. The day the booking fee is received will be the starting date of the contract. Alterations and cancellations made by Dive Damai : Dive Damai reserves the right to alter the itinerary or given services due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances. Dive Damai will inform the agent and/or client at the earliest possible time of such alterations, as well as any consequent changes to the price. Dive Damai will make appropriate arrangements where possible to provide clients with a viable alternative. Dive Damai reserves the right to cancel a trip due to unavoidable circumstances and will contact the agent and/or client at the earliest possible convenience. In the unlikely event that a trip should be cancelled by Dive Damai then an alternative date will be offered to the agent or client and where such a date is unacceptable to the agent or client then a refund of the money paid for the trip by the agent or client will be considered If circumstances (e.g weather conditions or unforeseen natural phenomena etc) force Dive Damai to alter the itinerary and the quality of the trip is effected, Dive Damai will not be held responsible for the altered itinerary or, if such a case exists, the shortening of the trip. In the case of Force Majeure (natural disasters, epidemics and unforeseen acts of God etc) or unavoidable acts of man (war, riots etc) Dive Damai reserves the right to cancel the trip and offer an alternative date to the agent and/or client at the earliest possible convenience. Should the agent and/or client be unable to accept the offered date then Dive Damai will not be required to offer an alternative or to refund any monies paid. As stated above, it is recommended that clients take out separate trip cancellation insurance before traveling to Indonesia. Dive Damai reserves the right to cancel a booking if any unreasonable or unlawful act on the client’s part gives justifiable cause to do so. In such instances, Dive Damai will not refund any payments made by said client. Disclaimer: Dive Damai will not be responsible for any loss or damage to the guests’ personal belongings.”

I completely agree with @Ministryofgiraffes
I will one up and say I would be fine with a voucher credit and would even be fine paying a little extra for the difference in sailing/fare for the following year if there were one. I feel like meeting in the middle and out of the normal action is needed here. That would also help the operators and I would still get a rescheduled trip. Win win?
This. I'd be totally fine with a reschedule/voucher and would throw in extra to cover the delta in rates if they went up between my original booking and the day I want to redeem the voucher/credit.

Hi!

I know many of us are dealing with canceled trips and postponed trips due to COVID. I'm interested to hear what your plans originally were (dates or any specific logistics you want to share), where you were supposed to go and with whom you had booked travel with, what you ended up doing (canceling/postponing) and what solutions your travel suppliers (airline, liveaboard, resort, dive shop, etc.) were able to offer you.

I think this will help many of us in the same situation see what is possible and with who, and to also think of some creative ideas/alternatives to being flexible during this time.

I'm still working on details of my postponement and will refrain from sharing until I know what the final word is. However, I would love to hear your story and for others to be able to see them as well. To make it easier for everyone to read through and for me to log everything, please only post if your outcomes are final.

I am including what everyone is sharing that is a final outcome on a Google Sheet below for easy sorting/view. If anyone wants to volunteer to help keep this updated, please let me know. We can tag-team. I will try my best to update it as much as I can as the new posts come in. I am also trying to post credit to the member(s) who shared their experience with us in this thread. If I have "liked" your post it means it has been added to the database. Thank you for your contributions!

If you can't access the filters as it is in view mode only, go to "Data" and go to "Filter Views" and then use a new or existing temporary filter.

Thank you!

Scubaboard Coronavirus Travel COVID Policies for Refunds/Reschedules - updated Mar 18 2020

could not add:

Grand Cayman—moved to later date ()

Did you pay with credit card? If so charge back. They did not provide the service you paid for.
This exactly. There are very few things that cost over $20 which I wouldn't use a credit or debit card to pay for. Both of those provide you with good recourse should you get screwed on something you paid for.

If someone wants you to pay for a vacation with money order or some oddball thing like paypal, I'd run away as fast as my legs could take me. Nothing but shady going on there.

This exactly. There are very few things that cost over $20 which I wouldn't use a credit or debit card to pay for. Both of those provide you with good recourse should you get screwed on something you paid for.

If someone wants you to pay for a vacation with money order or some oddball thing like paypal, I'd run away as fast as my legs could take me. Nothing but shady going on there.

I know of many overseas ops that take payments by PayPal but you can pay by “goods and services” for protection and use a credit card at the same time. Those same ops or some other ops also take credit card but charge a % fee or add that percentage to PayPal transfers to cover the cost of the fee that is imposed on them. There are some other ops I’ve come across overseas that alternatively deal with wire transfers and that’s scary to me. Not because they are shady or even trying to be, but a lot can go wrong with the wires themselves and of course, if there are any issues, it’s much more difficult to manage. I like booking with my agent for these reasons. It costs no more for me and in fact, I can use my credit card and get bonus travel points as they’re a travel merchant. :)

Back
Top Bottom