US divers - maybe more local diving due to the CV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only hope the vis will be good at home here on the River. Has been abysmal the last two years.

I know they are "opening up" Wuhan now, so assume that will happen here at some point. Still can't figure how that keeps the virus from spreading without a vaccine. But, we'll see. I can't see how things will be "safe" by August with no vaccine. But people seem to think social distancing will be enough for returning back to some form of normal, thus returning to diving via charter boats, trips, etc. Maybe they're right.

I will continue to try and dive responsibly. Being active and healthy is good for all of us. I can go to the dive sites now and interact with vastly fewer people than a simple run to resupply groceries. I don't say this flippantly as I have two parents and a mother-in-law that are most susceptible. Heck, we can all read stories of younger folks passing away as well. So maybe my number has already been called and I don't know it yet.

But to answer your question, I do want to stay active. Diving is one of my activities and I will try to do local quarry dives if they can be done responsibly. When I did my 100th dive I interacted with one person. We each went back to our trucks and used alcohol after I stupidly, and reflexively, shook his hand out of habit. It was my first interaction post "lockdown." I learned.

I know they are "opening up" Wuhan now, so assume that will happen here at some point. Still can't figure how that keeps the virus from spreading without a vaccine. But, we'll see. I can't see how things will be safe by August with no vaccine. But people seem to think social distancing will be enough for returning back to some form of normal, thus returning to diving via charter boats, trips, etc. Maybe they're right.

At least we know now how to prevent from getting the virus (keeping hands clean, social distancing, etc.) and have some medicine that work, FDA says hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine can be used to treat coronavirus

Some of our local boats are still going out. I've been diving, although not much due to the conditions. I'm hoping to make a couple of road trips to San Diego and Morro Bay/Monterey this year. In the meantime, my life hasn't changed much. I still get out every day for a walk or bike ride. The only things that have changed are the canceled trip to Canada and the multiple trips I have to make to the grocery store thanks to the idiot hoarders.

I would still go to Florida. I want to dive in California. I would dive Hawai’i again. Not such a Great Lakes guy yet as I’m after fish, coral, kelp, and seals.

When you own a boat your diving isn't limited much. Except for air fills. But I happen to own one of those too. So aside from land based travel restrictions, my local diving is not limited except for my current work schedule.

I literally live at the beach and I am not permitted to walk 20' across the sand to enter the water. My boat partners are sheltering in place. So, looks like no local diving for me either for now. Once the restrictions are lifted I have a feeling it will take me some time to get back on a commercial airplane so I envision more local diving in my future (whenever that future occurs :) ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom