Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My trip to PNG has been rebooked for 2022.

I don't know if any of you have ever stayed a Walindi Plantation resort on New Britain Island, Papua New Guinea.

If you have, you would know that they totally support a huge number of people in the community. Max Benjamin built and supports a school in the village as well.

PNG has no help for the people driven out of work. Walindi is struggling to keep these folks supported even thought they have no income and huge expenses.

They have started a GoFundMe page to help raise funds to keep them afloat until this horror passes.

Please consider even a few dollars. It all adds up.

Thanks for reading. And, thanks for any help you can offer!

Staff Relief Fund - Walindi, Papua New Guinea organized by Cheyne Benjamin

Thank you for that tip @BDSC

Ok I have to ask, why do you keep pointing out that you're a local? What difference should that make?

You're right it shouldn't not make any difference, however, in a town built on diving even the fact that we are members of the local dive community (and not a faceless name in another country / state ), they have still not been forthcoming. Whether it was us or someone from overseas / interstate, this shouldn't happen.

Thank you for that tip @BDSC

You're right it shouldn't not make any difference, however, in a town built on diving even the fact that we are members of the local dive community (and not a faceless name in another country / state ), they have still not been forthcoming. Whether it was us or someone from overseas / interstate, this shouldn't happen.

Perhaps @CWK could help you as his trip on Spoilsport got rescheduled.

Ok I have to ask, why do you keep pointing out that you're a local? What difference should that make?

I'd think it means something to the effect of "if they won't respond to nor refund locals, why would non locals expect to be treated any better?".

Perhaps @CWK could help you as his trip on Spoilsport got rescheduled.
About the time Australia closed its borders to non residents, my Australian agent informed me that I would be allowed to reschedule. I believe that at that time, locals could still travel within Australia and Spoilsport was still running trips as they have a local clientele (unlike LOBs in many other countries where clientele is almost exclusively foreign). I have nominated a replacement trip in November 2021 but have not received the paperwork, perhaps due to the temporary closure of the Mike Ball office. I have no reason to doubt that they will allow the rescheduling.

AquaTCI on Provo just emailed me the below changes to their cancellation policy:

As a result of the current pandemic, we have amended our cancellation policy and it is now set out below. As you can see, we are currently offering all our guests a 12 month credit to be used against future diving with us where their travel plans are disrupted or changed due to Covid-19 and we hope that helps. Should that be the case please do let us know as soon as you can and, of course, your new dates, once known. We would then look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Please note our cancellation policy, as set out below:

Covid-19

If, at any time up to the day you arrive on island, your diving or instruction has to be cancelled as a direct result of the Covid-19 virus we are able to offer a 12 month credit for all monies deposited or paid to us except all eLearning passes and materials which remain payable in full, irrespective of when the cancellation is made.

All other cancellations remain subject to our normal conditions as set out below

Private Charters - cancellations made 31 days or more prior to the day of diving will receive a full refund (less credit card fees). Cancellations made 30 days or less and no-shows, are non-refundable.

All diving only and Instruction cancellations made 31 days or more prior to first day of diving will receive a full refund (less credit card fees). Cancellations made 30 - 15 days prior to first day of diving receive 50% refund (less credit card fees). Cancellations 14 days or less, no-shows, unused dives and/or package features due to premature departure, are non-refundable and non-transferable. All dive packages are non-refundable and non-transferable once you arrive on island.All eLearning passes and materials remain payable in full, irrespective of when the cancellation is made.

Maldives on May 3, rescheduled in january 2021

flights rescheduled by Etihad and Emirates, no fee

diving agency (Ola Kala Maldives) proposed several dates end of 2020 and january to april 2021, 160 eur fee
(I asked why, they explained these are fixed costs because the owner of the boat says that the agency has to pay, as the boat is contracted and available, all flight cancelled and country closed is not his problem...:banghead:)

we made a proposal to open a week more in may 2021, but they are afraid to have very few customers, so they don't want to take the risk of having to pay the boat rental for 1 entire month more ... they are still thinking about it...

meanwhile : rescheduled in january, asking 550 eur suppl (1 day more, and more expensive tariffs in january), agency still negociating with the boat owner to lower the costs

AquaTCI on Provo just emailed me the below changes to their cancellation policy [...]

There is something i find quite disturbing in these kind of statements (not only in this specific one): i always assumed that terms & conditions (including cancellation policy) of a contract are the ones in force at the time of the signature of the contracts. That's why i decided to download / screen shot or save the T&Cs to know under what conditions i did a booking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom