Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comparing some numbers from 9 days ago, 8 days ago, and 7 days ago (you mislabeled the 19th as 20th, then added another 20th the next day)...

Cases 279 -> 280 > 317 > 323 and week later 550 -> 603

Deaths 28 -> 30 > 32 > 32 and week later 71 -> 79

Eight days back there was 13% increase in cases, but the other days much less. Today's 11% increase in deaths is significant. 79 of 603 = 13% fatality of cases is again significant, but again that could be from late and only partial testing. 323 to 603 is a 86% increase in that week while 32 to 79 is more than double or 147% increase on that week.

I'm glad to see the island numbers not so aggressive.

@DandyDon - the island numbers are not so aggressive because they don't have enough tests available here.
At one point IMSS only had 3. I'll ask around and see what updates there are.

So I am glad to see you watching all the numbers for Quintana Roo.
This is exactly why it's so important to watch Playa del Carmen and Cancun- which are other significant tourist cities in Q.Roo. They have more state hospitals and more testing than Cozumel.

Quoting only the numbers in Cozumel is misleading due to the lack of testing.
Once the numbers start holding in Playa del Carmen and Cancun then we can all breathe a little easier.
I am still very hopeful, but just trying to manage a few expectations here.

All I can say is, buy the trip insurance.

Maybe talk to your local (Cozumel) dive shop about prepaying for your dives or put in a deposit now.
Buy trip insurance for your flight and hotel. And be prepared to change your dates. Do try and look at the big picture.

PS Trying to type on my phone is crazy. Am better to wait and reply when I'm on my computer lol

I mean stuff not about novel coronavirus and COVID-19.

I'm thinking scuba diving is still an appropriate subject here :p !
Most-honorable forum member jlyle is making a nice salvage attempt with his multi-part series titled, "Old Cozumel trip report and pictures". Nothing's preventing us from chiming in there, or starting similar threads of our own. All this rapidfire posting of government stats and press releases is like watching Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel, standing on the beach in 50 mph winds, telling us that hurricanes are dangerous, and this one is now 2 miles closer than it was 10 minutes ago !! :D

Buy trip insurance for your flight and hotel. And be prepared to change your dates. Do try and look at the big picture.
I always do for any international trip and strongly encourage anyone in the family leaving the US. I don't buy much as my hotel and diving expenses are not at risk, but I do get a policy with good medical coverage and repatriation benefits which I believe are the most important reasons to have trip insurance. If the airline cancels, they'll refund.

I'm thinking scuba diving is still an appropriate subject here :p !
Most-honorable forum member jlyle is making a nice salvage attempt with his multi-part series titled, "Old Cozumel trip report and pictures". Nothing's preventing us from chiming in there, or starting similar threads of our own. All this rapidfire posting of government stats and press releases is like watching Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel, standing on the beach in 50 mph winds, telling us that hurricanes are dangerous, and this one is now 2 miles closer than it was 10 minutes ago !! :D

I just got the nicest message from JLyle. We ran into each other underwater searching for critters during a shore dive some years ago and he reminded me how funny that was. We were literally having this sign language chat underwater when I realized it was him! He showed me his camera and underneath the housing he had written his name in a white sharpie. I laughed so hard.

I like the weather analogy - because right now we don't know if it's going to be a CAT 1 or a CAT5. Everybody demands to know NOW and then if we're wrong instead of being happy we dodged a bullet they're mad because we aid wait and hold off, or they book it and have to cancel. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

All I know is we are ALL dying to get back in the water!!

My hopeful theory is in the toilet!! I'm hiding behind locked gates!
95437280_2706987312856146_7159596446755323904_n.jpg

From the 27-April noon update:
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 603  ->  650
     Social Isolation                 205  ->  225
     Hospitalized                     140  ->  156
     Recovered                        179  ->  184
     Deaths                            79  ->   85
Q Roo Tests pending                    66  ->  124

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   19  ->   19
     Recovered                          7  ->    7
     Deaths                             4  ->    4
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter

I've seen some chatter that the non-QRoo plated vehicle prohibition won't be applied in Cozumel, but I haven't found anything official. This seems odd as this is a state mandate, and there are state police on the island. What does seem certain is that we are running out of beer: Cancun, Riviera Maya stores running out of beer after breweries temporarily halt production - Riviera Maya News

From the 27-April noon update:
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 603  ->  650
     Social Isolation                 205  ->  225
     Hospitalized                     140  ->  156
     Recovered                        179  ->  184
     Deaths                            79  ->   85
Q Roo Tests pending                    66  ->  124

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   19  ->   19
     Recovered                          7  ->    7
     Deaths                             4  ->    4
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter

I've seen some chatter that the non-QRoo plated vehicle prohibition won't be applied in Cozumel, but I haven't found anything official. This seems odd as this is a state mandate, and there are state police on the island. What does seem certain is that we are running out of beer: Cancun, Riviera Maya stores running out of beer after breweries temporarily halt production - Riviera Maya News

Re-open Punta Sur Cerveceria...for take-out only. Problem solved !

Back
Top Bottom