Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given my understanding of flu vaccines,(specifically, their mutability) it won't be a cure AT ALL. It'll be yet another excuse to inject us with whatever they've been so hell-bent on injecting us with, for years now. While visiting a relative in the hospital, numerous times in the last few years, I noticed that they almost constantly had a nurse making the rounds, offering free flu vaccinations, to any and everyone that would accept it. Once I stopped her and asked a few simple,reasonable questions, concerning some of the well known concerns with these vaccinations, from negative side effects, to the fact that whatever they were made to combat, has long since mutated into another variant, making the vaccine virtually useless. Well, damned if she didn't sheepishly nod her head in agreement with every single point !!!!!
And she was at a loss to explain the huge campaign to get us all injected, but given the reality that they are, I've predicted for years that they were eventually going to come up with an excuse to force everyone to accept their injections, which predictably usually got me dismissive pats on the head for being a "paranoid conspiracy buff". Yet, here we are, quite likely on the thresh hold of exactly that. Forced,mandated, vaccinations. And most people are happy to get in line, because 'the experts' have such a stellar history of integrity and accuracy. (sarcasm off).
As Don pointed out, mandatory smallpox and polio vaccinations are responsible for those of us 70 and younger not ever having to worry about those diseases.

As Don pointed out, mandatory smallpox and polio vaccinations are responsible for those of us 70 and younger not ever having to worry about those diseases.
I knew kids in school who were crippled for life by polio, some younger than me. The smallpox vaccination was more to eliminate it from the population as I don't think it was common when I was a kid. I'm glad that my kids and theirs have had even more vaccinations.

I knew kids in school who were crippled for life by polio, some younger than me. The smallpox vaccination was more to eliminate it from the population as I don't think it was common when I was a kid. I'm glad that my kids and theirs have had even more vaccinations.
And just like with those diseases the primary point of vaccinating for this one if/when it becomes available is for public health; the protection of the individual is secondary. That protection is twofold, though, once vaccination becomes widespread; there is the first order effect of the vaccine itself on the individual plus the second order effect of reducing the risk of becoming infected by lowering the concentration of the disease in the population. Of course it would be better for everyone if the disease didn't exist in the first place, but stuff happens.

My high school journalism teacher had a daughter crippled with polio, took her to Hot Springs Arkansas to explore those baths, met Franklin Delano Roosevelt there as he had been crippled by the same disease and was also exploring, and she got to spend a good bit of time with him. She had a strong personality and a fascinating mind so I bet he was entertained. Her husband couldn't leave his church that long, but she was independent and resourceful.

I'm glad that our polio vaccines only left small scars instead of what Washington used on his troops fighting the English.

From the 29-April noon update:
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 697  ->   711
     Social Isolation                 144  ->   105
     Hospitalized                     150  ->   135
     Recovered                        312  ->   362
     Deaths                            91  ->   109
Q Roo Tests pending                   166  ->   211

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   22  ->    22
     Recovered                         11  ->    11
     Deaths                             6  ->     6
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

A Singaporean university site is publishing estimated peak timings for various countries. I do not have the ability to vet this information, and the site itself says there may be errors, I'll provide them today for those who may be interested, but don't plan to include them in future updates.

393317_937381.jpeg

From Data-Driven Prediction of COVID-19 Pandemic End Dates

From the 29-April noon update:
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 697  ->   711
     Social Isolation                 144  ->   105
     Hospitalized                     150  ->   135
     Recovered                        312  ->   362
     Deaths                            91  ->   109
Q Roo Tests pending                   166  ->   211

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   22  ->    22
     Recovered                         11  ->    11
     Deaths                             6  ->     6
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

A Singaporean university site is publishing estimated peak timings for various countries. I do not have the ability to vet this information, and the site itself says there may be errors, I'll provide them today for those who may be interested, but don't plan to include them in future updates.

393317_937381.jpe

From Data-Driven Prediction of COVID-19 Pandemic End Dates
I might take that curve a bit more seriously if/when the data follows it on the down side.

It just gets better and better: Curfew 4pm starting Friday EDIT - they are gonna update this in the morning so they are saying now..... as the guessing continues

#DEULTIMAHORA #COMPARTE #COZUMEL
NEXT FRIDAY THE CALL OF SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY WILL BE FROM 4 PM.

** BEFORE THE GROWTH OF CASES, THE AUTHORITIES HAVE DETERMINED TO MAKE A MORE DRASTIC DECISION THAT ALLOWS TO CONTAIN CORONAVIRUS IN COZUMEL.

** THIS DECISION WILL ALSO APPLY FOR ALL COZUMEL BUSINESS

** APART FROM MAY 1TH MUST CLOSE AT 4 PM, SUPERMARKETS, CONVENCE SHOPS, FUNDS, RESTAURANTS, ECONOMIC KITCHEN, PIZERIZERIES, EXPENDIES AND DEPOSITS, PASTRIES, HAIRDRES, PAPERS, ETC.

**SOLO YOU CAN FOLLOW WITH NORMAL SCHEDULES, HOSPITALS, CLINICS, SANATORY, DISPENSARY.

**LOS BUSINESS THAT DON ' T MUST BE SANTIONED WITH FULTS, SUSPENSIONS AND CLOSES, PLUS THAT OWNERS OR PEOPLE WHO REsist, COULD BE ARRESTED UP TO 36 HOURS.

It just gets better and better: Curfew 4pm starting Friday

#DEULTIMAHORA #COMPARTE #COZUMEL
NEXT FRIDAY THE CALL OF SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY WILL BE FROM 4 PM.

** BEFORE THE GROWTH OF CASES, THE AUTHORITIES HAVE DETERMINED TO MAKE A MORE DRASTIC DECISION THAT ALLOWS TO CONTAIN CORONAVIRUS IN COZUMEL.

** THIS DECISION WILL ALSO APPLY FOR ALL COZUMEL BUSINESS

** APART FROM MAY 1TH MUST CLOSE AT 4 PM, SUPERMARKETS, CONVENCE SHOPS, FUNDS, RESTAURANTS, ECONOMIC KITCHEN, PIZERIZERIES, EXPENDIES AND DEPOSITS, PASTRIES, HAIRDRES, PAPERS, ETC.

**SOLO YOU CAN FOLLOW WITH NORMAL SCHEDULES, HOSPITALS, CLINICS, SANATORY, DISPENSARY.

**LOS BUSINESS THAT DON ' T MUST BE SANTIONED WITH FULTS, SUSPENSIONS AND CLOSES, PLUS THAT OWNERS OR PEOPLE WHO REsist, COULD BE ARRESTED UP TO 36 HOURS.
Well they have to step up their quarantine game if they're gonna wipe this thing out in 30 days.

Well they have to step up their quarantine game if they're gonna wipe this thing out in 30 days.
I don't think it's going to be "wiped out" anywhere in anything remotely close to 30 days. What makes you think it's even possible? There's no vaccine, asymptomatic people spread it, we have no herd immunity against it, and it's at least three times as contagious as seasonal influenza. A single infected person can start the whole thing up again, and unlike in the early days of the initial outbreak when it might have been contained, now it is everywhere. Cozumel is more vulnerable to reinfection than most other places even if they could rid themselves of it some time soon; it attracts travelers from all over the world.

What am I missing?

I don't think it's going to be "wiped out" anywhere in anything remotely close to 30 days. What makes you think it's even possible? There's no vaccine, asymptomatic people spread it, we have no herd immunity against it, and it's at least three times as contagious as seasonal influenza. A single infected person can start the whole thing up again, and unlike in the early days of the initial outbreak when it might have been contained, now it is everywhere. Cozumel is more vulnerable to reinfection than most other places even if they could rid themselves of it some time soon; it attracts travelers from all over the world.

What am I missing?
the sarcasm

It's not getting wiped out, but this should help flatten the real curve. IMO (and stated previously), the ridiculously low COVID-19 infection numbers are going to get waved around at the end of May and there will be a lot of backslapping about how these draconian quarantine measures basically wiped this thing out and oh yeah, time to get back to work.

Reactions: BRT

Back
Top Bottom