Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect a lack of testing and a lack of reporting both. There has been talk on Facebook Cozumel forums of several deaths on the island that were probably Covid-19 related but not reported as such. If the patients who died were not tested, then no need to report those as Covid-19 fatalities - which could damage the idyllic reputation of the vacation destination.
Conspiracy hypotheses abound.

I'm hearing the street closure order has been reversed and a gradual return to work/school will begin on June 1st.

Yeah, I am sure there are several. I am also confident in my suspicion that they are not testing everyone with symptoms as well as I am sure that the governing officials want to protect the island's image.

I'm hearing the street closure order has been reversed and a gradual return to work/school will begin on June 1st.
Reversed? As in canceled or rearranged.

I don't think anyone anywhere can reasonably predict what life will be like on June 1.

Yeah, I am sure there are several. I am also confident in my suspicion that they are not testing everyone with symptoms as well as I am sure that the governing officials want to protect the island's image.

Reversed? As in canceled or rearranged.

I don't think anyone anywhere can reasonably predict what life will be like on June 1.
coz-streets.jpg

june-1.jpg

OK, but as I say, the coverup you are alleging is a conspiracy hypothesis; a theory requires evidence to support it. Concealing evidence of a disease that is part of a global pandemic is a pretty serious allegation.

There's an exit point from Centro, 10 de April - out 65 onto Airport BLVD, go East to Felix Gonzalez, turn right and the new Chedraui will be on your right at Transversel. You can get to Sams Club, you can get to Chedraui downtown and the corner at 11 and Melgar is open to get to Mega.

You enter back into the Centro zone area at 10 and 11.

Don't travel without ID - you need to be creative to get around, they want it to be difficult, not impossible.

This has nothing to do with COVID - 19 - maybe she'll delete it...............................

View attachment 580829
So have you been able to get out and navigate with the new restrictions, Chuck? I saw the entrance/exit points, but it's unclear how one would get to the exit from west of 30th? Or are all streets open to Airport Blvd? And it still doesn't address how one is supposed to get to Mega.

I was incredibly lucky to have gone out to top off our groceries at 2pm Tuesday, before they started closing streets at 4pm. I might go out Sunday morning just to see what my options are. (I would prefer to stay home, but I need to be able to plan for grocery runs with refrigerated foods/perishables.) I'm hoping by then there will be more clarity or at least reports from the field about what's really happening.

And of course, they implemented this with no notice, the day before a payday.

Yeah, I am sure there are several. I am also confident in my suspicion that they are not testing everyone with symptoms ,,,

OK, but as I say, the coverup you are alleging is a conspiracy hypothesis ...

I've tried to point out in my periodic updates, this is not a conspiracy or a coverup, it is the government's philosophical approach to assessment. It goes to the point that the purpose of gathering the statistics is not an end to itself, but is to inform the government's response. El Universal has a pretty good explanation. It's in Spanish, but the text can easily be copied/pasted into DeepL or your favorite translator.

Briefly, the government's philosophy is not to identify everyone infected. It's to use reported infections as sentinels. They then apply a "corrective factor", reportedly eight times, to arrive at the actual numbers of persons infected.

You can agree or disagree with the validity of the approach (preferably in The Pub), but it's not a secret.

I've tried to point out in my periodic updates, this is not a conspiracy or a coverup, it is the government's philosophical approach to assessment. It goes to the point that the purpose of gathering the statistics is not an end to itself, but is to inform the government's response. El Universal has a pretty good explanation. It's in Spanish, but the text can easily be copied/pasted into DeepL or your favorite translator.

Briefly, the government's philosophy is not to identify everyone infected. It's to use reported infections as sentinels. They then apply a "corrective factor", reportedly eight times, to arrive at the actual numbers of persons infected.

You can agree or disagree with the validity of the approach (preferably in The Pub), but it's not a secret.
I was speaking to an often on this forum claimed but never substantiated hypothesis that any bad news about Cozumel is intentionally covered up by both the authorities on the island and the moderators of this forum.

I was speaking to an often on this forum claimed but never substantiated hypothesis that any bad news about Cozumel is intentionally covered up by both the authorities on the island and the moderators of this forum.

I think it’s universal in the way the country is reporting results - any number of theory’s as to why can be argued.

Living here, it seems a very large reaction to a very small problem (here as reported). There was a video that CMC did in English that referred to actual numbers perhaps being eight times higher than reported - it was in English from a private hospital so I personally would tend to believe that.

Is what it is so to speak, we just try to be mindful and control our own destiny.

Late last night, they did announce they were going to reopen roads with more contingency coming.....

I seen a Federal announcement today stating possibly going back to school mid May and continued opening beginning of June - federal not local but we hear its much worse in Mexico City so how do you take that?? My son more than likely will not be returning to school unless I see drastic changes - protect yourself.

I also seen a post last night that the military is coming in for support of IMSS (local hospital) with supplies, nurses and doctors. There have been posts about lack of supplies, management and a few people not happy (Cancun).

Living here, it’s like sitting in the dark with tid bits of info, a lot of interpretations and speculation. I go to oxxo about every four days and groceries every 14 or so. Last time to oxxo, they were finally wearing masks. Last week at sams, employees were acting like it was any other day other than only one shopper per card.

So have you been able to get out and navigate with the new restrictions, Chuck? I saw the entrance/exit points, but it's unclear how one would get to the exit from west of 30th? Or are all streets open to Airport Blvd? And it still doesn't address how one is supposed to get to Mega.

I was incredibly lucky to have gone out to top off our groceries at 2pm Tuesday, before they started closing streets at 4pm. I might go out Sunday morning just to see what my options are. (I would prefer to stay home, but I need to be able to plan for grocery runs with refrigerated foods/perishables.) I'm hoping by then there will be more clarity or at least reports from the field about what's really happening.

And of course, they implemented this with no notice, the day before a payday.

I went for laundry and Oxxo, just a few blocks away and out of the closures. We just had a ton of traffic yesterday but it was payday.

I seen late last night they at first were putting up steel gates then they were taking them down - all within hours lol

we’ve been staying in, we have a pool and a full fridge, just trying not to get stressed about it

Back
Top Bottom