Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anecdotal evidence actually IS evidence, it just doesn't, on its own, rise to the level of conclusive proof. But I know for a fact that at least a couple newsworthy incidents, were ignored in the local media, because we looked for mention of them, and the prevailing local belief was that this was because the powers-that-be wanted to downplay any negative publicity, which is both plausible and logical.
Let's not get too far off into the weeds, OK? I'll just say that if you tell me that you know XYZ happened, that doesn't mean that I know it happened. I don't know that it didn't happen, either. All I know is that you told me it happened. It's anecdotal.

Todays Costamed update in English - one new case, one new death

Curfew starts at 8 tomorrow night, streets remain open. I almost panicked seeing Oxxo closures but they closed five, all down close to Melgar.

Sounds works fine. It was my machine. Booted & fixed.

From the noon, 17-April update. Trying a new format today.
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 279  ->  280
     Social Isolation                 116  ->  110
     Hospitalized                      66  ->   71
     Recovered                         69  ->   69
     Deaths                            28  ->   30
Q Roo Tests pending                   173  ->  209

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                    9  ->  10
     Deaths                             0  ->   1

The government of Quintana Roo has begun asking people, via their Twitter and Facebook pages, to answer questions about whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. No word yet as to how the responses will be used and/or if they will be published.

From the noon 18-April update. Some significant jumps today.

Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 280  ->  317
     Social Isolation                 110  ->  128
     Hospitalized                      71  ->   85
     Recovered                         69  ->   72
     Deaths                            30  ->   32
Q Roo Tests pending                   209  ->  191

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   10  ->   13
     Deaths                             0  ->    1

The city resumed delivery of a small box of supplies to residents today. Our neighborhood received distribution (we asked that our share be distributed to our neighbors).

The city resumed delivery of a small box of supplies to residents today. Our neighborhood received distribution (we asked that our share be distributed to our neighbors).

Hey, I just heard from an old buddy down there, an expat American that's been on the island for 25 years, saying the food truck came around (and that he's in legitimate need of right now), but he was denied because he couldn't produce an electricity bill or rental contract (he just moved into a new studio apartment, where there generally isn't an individual electric bill or rental contract, in my experience.)
Any chance I could put you in contact with him and you pass any un-needed supply boxes his way ?

Hey, I just heard from an old buddy down there, an expat American that's been on the island for 25 years, saying the food truck came around (and that he's in legitimate need of right now), but he was denied because he couldn't produce an electricity bill or rental contract (he just moved into a new studio apartment, where there generally isn't an individual electric bill or rental contract, in my experience.)
Any chance I could put you in contact with him and you pass any un-needed supply boxes his way ?
I don't know of anyone specifically to refer him to, but he could try to get in touch with local Rotary Club - they were doing a food drive. The city is pretty much done with this round of deliveries, I think, and I haven't heard if/when there will be another. Centro was one of the last colinas to receive the distributions. He could also try to get in contact with DIF (social services). PM me if you need contact info.

The part about not being able to produce a lease or bill sounds a little odd. There are folks across the street from me who live in studio apartments, and I could see that they all got boxes. He should talk to his landlord about getting some documentation in case there is another round of distributions.

Very weird - they just went by the house and asked for nothing, we didn't take the box but I seen the neighbor across the street get it and they showed nothing. Have him or you post on Cozumel 4 You facebook, there's a few food bank places. The church in Corpus is one I believe.

From the noon 20-April update. The state has added recoveries by municipality. Please see post #147 for more information about why these numbers may look low or the percentages odd.

Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 317  ->  323
     Social Isolation                 128  ->  129
     Hospitalized                      85  ->   88
     Recovered                         72  ->   74
     Deaths                            32  ->   32
Q Roo Tests pending                   191  ->  179

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   13  ->   13
     Recovered                          -  ->    1
     Deaths                             1  ->    1

If you're interested in more details about some of the communications, regulations, and restrictions, a friend of mine runs the Estilio de Vida Cozumel site, and has been translating the government notices as they come out.

Back
Top Bottom