Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good theory and maybe close but I don't think Monterray and Matamoris have the same tourism that Cozumel does but yet the reporting is the same.......

Minimal testing everywhere......

Could be a policy coming from the top. Many tourists think in terms of "Mexico" not the various parts of Mexico, thus all the "is it safe in Cozumel" questions because there was a rash of violence in Acapulco. The overall image of Mexico is affected by all parts of Mexico.

I wonder why they aren’t reporting the true amount of deaths in Cozumel?
Why didn't they report Zika when it was raging along in 2016? FYI, not just Cozumel but the entire Caribbean / Gulf tourist region.

Could be a policy coming from the top. Many tourists think in terms of "Mexico" not the various parts of Mexico, thus all the "is it safe in Cozumel" questions because there was a rash of violence in Acapulco. The overall image of Mexico is affected by all parts of Mexico.

All ^ true. I recall it being a constant uphill battle trying to explain to folks, from family and friends back in the states to tourists fresh off a boat, that the whole Mayan Riviera,and Cozumel in particular, were well policed and extremely safe, requiring no more than the same caution and common sense you'd apply anywhere back home.
That being said, I have a photo around here somewhere taken by my brother, of me lounging in a hammock, reading a local newspaper, with the giant headline, "US TOURISTS GUNNED DOWN IN CANCUN !"
That day (around '93) ,we had just hopped a bus in the (Cancun) hotel zone, right across the street from Aqua World and Gypsies restaurant, and just a little while later, a car load of gangsters pulled up and sprayed the restaurant with gunfire !! (reportedly, a drug-related hit).
But, other than a couple home break-ins, and an attempted bike theft, my experience with crime down there was virtually nil. Heck, I got shaken down by the cops more than anything else, LOL!

As I mentioned earlier here, which some rejected.

That would be bad for image and future business. If they don't test the victims before they die, they can get away with it.
FWIW, the only reason I "rejected" your hypothesis (I didn't; I just pointed out what it was) was that it was, and is, totally based on conjecture. I don't know one way or the other, and I don't think you do, either.

From the 21-April noon update:
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 361  ->  374
     Social Isolation                 129  ->  137
     Hospitalized                      88  ->   94
     Recovered                         74  ->  105
     Deaths                            32  ->   38
Q Roo Tests pending                   179  ->   92

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   13  ->   15
     Recovered                          1  ->    5
     Deaths                             1  ->    1

The Deputy Health Minister announced this morning that Mexico is entering Phase 3 (most serious) of the Emergency Declaration. They define this as, "the phase of rapid spread where a large number of infections and hospitalizations are accumulated." Mexico has officially recorded 8,772 cases, but by their statistical model, the government estimates there are actually 55,951 cases, or a factor of about 6.4. It's unclear (and I think unlikely) that this factor can be applied uniformly across the board, but it's pretty certain that the number of cases in Q.Roo and Cozumel are higher than reported.

It's almost humorous that the Minister stated, "the focus of Phase 3 is to further reduce movement of people in public spaces", but then President AMLO went on to say, "the country would not enforce “authoritarian” measures such as curfews." Meanwhile in Q.Roo, mandatory curfews are in effect, with fines and jail time for violators.

Hale county in Texas with a third of the population has reported four dead now from Covid-19, all old folks. I fear for the old folks homes over there. Half of the confirmed cases have been locally transmitted.

My favorite grocery over there has one-way arrows on the floors of aisles now to reduce face to face meetings in narrow lanes. It's kinda frustrating with my shopping style, having to go down one that has nothing on my list so I can turn around to visit the aisle I need, often passing others browsing, but a good idea I guess. I don't want to ignore violaters but then I don't want to be rude so when I meet one I ask "Am I going the wrong way?!" She still seemed bothered.

From the noon update, 22-April. Big jump in reported deaths, including a second in Cozumel.
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 374  ->  426
     Social Isolation                 137  ->  147
     Hospitalized                      94  ->  105
     Recovered                        105  ->  119
     Deaths                            38  ->   55
Q Roo Tests pending                    92  ->   63

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   15  ->   15
     Recovered                          1  ->    6
     Deaths                             1  ->    2

From the noon update, 22-April. Big jump in reported deaths, including a second in Cozumel.
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 374  ->  426
     Social Isolation                 137  ->  147
     Hospitalized                      94  ->  105
     Recovered                        105  ->  119
     Deaths                            38  ->   55
Q Roo Tests pending                    92  ->   63

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   15  ->   15
     Recovered                          1  ->    6
     Deaths                             1  ->    2

If we hold at 15 for a week, can we get an atta boy and a hall pass to go diving???

I guess I shouldn't be joking around so much. Here's the other format in reporting they do every day now at noon. Cancun had an increase of almost 100 cases overnight, Playa only up by I few if I remember. What really stands out to me is the number of cases in study, that's down from 170ish yesterday (I guess that was two days ago) to only 63 - that means we can only have 63 more positive cases if they are all sick!!! I'm hoping we are reaching the peak here, cases in study was something that has been hanging out in the 200's - we either ran out of test kits or we've run out of sick people.....

IMG-20200422-WA0008-622x989.jpg

Here's the other format in reporting they do every day now at noon.
That's where I'm getting the numbers that I post from. I figure people in this forum are most concerned about Cozumel, so I break that out, and I throw in the state-wide numbers for a more regional view.

The SESA report doesn't include the previous days tallies, so one would have to look for those, and I'd be constantly explaining that "Benito Juarez" is Cancun, where is Othon P Blanco, why isn't Playa on there, and so on. But it's good to show the source once in a while.

The other thing about SESA report that I've mentioned occassionally is the ratio of negative to positive tests. In Q. Roo it's about 1.4:1. In other places around the world it's 5:1, and sometimes much higher. It just shows that testing is very limited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom