Rental Gear... Will you use it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tekkydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering, since I know so many divers that use dive op equipment. How eager are you to don rental gear?

Other than renting a wetsuit in an emergency, I have not really had the need to since shortly after I was certified in the early 80s. I rented a reg and bc for two dive days within a few months of my checkout dives. I had issues with a reg on one of the days and quickly bought my own equipment before my next trip.

I don’t have an issue using rental gear, I do however bring my own mouthpiece and a tywrap. I have rented in the past plenty of times. All that said, I now bring my own equipment when I am traveling and knowing I’m going on a dive trip.

I used rental gear to get certified. On the way out the dive shop door after my last session, I was loaded with everything I would need to be self-sustaining.

Of course, that was in 1985, and I've upgraded a few items since then, but I never have, nor will I ever, dive rental gear.

I was concerned for my own well-being way before this current situation.

My preference is to dive my own gear. If for logistical reasons or I come across an unplanned recreational diving opportunity, I have no problem diving rental gear provided by a reputable source.

I second, 3rd, 4th ... prior posts on bringing your own gear (at the very least mask, reg and BC)

While I have more than enough of my own gear, and am happy to cart it all over the world to the most remote destination, I also have no problem using rental gear. Sometime if I get asked to teach unexpectedly, the rig I have might not be the best so I'll use whatever the shop has

Scuba gear is pretty simple, and 95% of issues with it can be found with a good visual and pre use check before you even assemble the gear, and then a good check of the gear once assembled, before it goes on the boat (or whatever)

In my experience, most issues with rental gear could have been identified by the diver before they ever got it wet, if only they had followed their basic training taught at OW.

It's a sad fact that most divers, only carry out a cursory gear check before they splash, because they've got complacent. When you drill down to a lot of mishaps in the AI thread, an awful lot are down to the diver not doing adequate pre dive checks, and then making poor decisions before they splash or before they descend.

I have no problems with using rental gear, but now that I have my own set, I really need to use my own to justify the expense!

Back
Top Bottom