Long-hose in the time of COVID-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This policy change begs the question: Does the long hose have to be so long if one is in OW? Perhaps 40" long to cut risk of entanglement?

FWIW, my shiny new Diverite rig agrees with you

FT Advanced Open Water Regulator Package | Dive Rite

It's not clear how comfortable a whole dive on the 22" hose would be. I'll try it out if I ever get in the water for real. I don't think sitting around in a pool will tell me much.

Yes, you really had to ask?
With the mentality of some people, they may actually want that.

Sometimes it's hard to tell. I think some members would rather take their chances rising from 90 feet than to take another's potentially contaminated primary regulator.

If I'm out of air you can pull the reg from a donkeys a$$ as long as it gives me air and gets me back to the surface I'll brush my teeth and get a antibiotic prescription once I'm there.

Do you dive with a lot of donkeys? If so, do they store their octos in their butts? Asking for a friend.

I think the more important question is should everyone be required to use a 7' hose to maintain social distancing during an OOA emergency?

Do you dive with a lot of donkeys? If so, do they store their octos in their butts? Asking for a friend.
I dive with jackasses all the time. They store their primary in their mouth, which probably is up their butts, and their octos that I'm supposed to use in an emergency dragging in the sand. ;-)

I can't afford a scooter and too lazy to fin.....

I dont think anyone will take the time to look for the location of the dionating regulator. they will go for the one being breathed on. I think GUE is looking at this through the eyes of their own trained divers who comply with the established DIR rules. Those are not the normal divers , neither is DIR divers. I think this is an example of trying to reinvent protocols to allign with the covid issue and ignoring the reasons they did it first place. I suspect that before covid there was not a reason on earth not to breath on the long hose. Now they appear to be trying to be the more friendly more concerned agency. I dont buy it.

IMO If you are not going to breath on it then get rid of it for the rec world. having a long hose will have to be stowed or secured and that just complicates getting it out to donate. no matter how many will suggest good ways to do it it will be someone paniced trying to take it from you and they will have to figure out how to get it unsecured so they can use it that is if they dont go for the one you are breathing on first. when they go for the necklace reg they will have problems taking it and panic more. things seldom happen in the most congenial ways.

Back
Top Bottom