Perdix AI AA Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with the energizer lithium or ultimate. Better for cold water and less chances of leaking.

I'm considering a Perdix AI - the only reason I haven't is that I don't know WHEN I'll be able to dive again...

Is there any reason to NOT just pull the battery after every trip? I mean, I'll go diving for a day, then not again for weeks. Or do 3 days of local boat diving, then nothing for a month (or longer). Why not just pull the batteries between trips? Is there something I'm missing?

I'd likely use new non-Duracell AAs for the computer, then pull them and save those for the TV remotes, home flashlights, etc.

you can, but then you have to remember to do it. That's why I use the rechargeables and not worry about it.

Otoh I think rechargeable 14500 cells are a great option too.

The 14500 rechargables run down really fast. They might be ok for a week of vacation diving, and I've used them for that. But you may need to swap cells and clear tissues mid trip.

However if you dive locally every week or two as I do, I've found that after maybe 8 hours of diving and about 6 weeks they are giving low battery warnings and need to be swapped out. This is just too short and unpredictable for my preference.

I now use Energizer Lithiums most of the time and sometimes SAFT. Both of these will last for dozens of hours of diving and many months. Much better for my needs.

The 14500 rechargables run down really fast. They might be ok for a week of vacation diving, and I've used them for that. But you may need to swap cells and clear tissues mid trip.

However if you dive locally every week or two as I do, I've found that after maybe 8 hours of diving and about 6 weeks they are giving low battery warnings and need to be swapped out. This is just too short and unpredictable for my preference.

I now use Energizer Lithiums most of the time and sometimes SAFT. Both of these will last for dozens of hours of diving and many months. Much better for my needs.

you do not need to clear tissues when you swap cells on the Petrel/Perdix. "IF" you do it fast enough you can do it without clearing tissues on a Predator, but it's a fast swap. Petrel/Perdix you have more than enough time to swap cells without clearing tissues.

Interesting. I have a rechargeable 14500 battery in my Perdix AI since Jan 2020. Due to COVID and travel restrictions, I've only made 28 dives so far. My battery level is still 100% (Bar all the way up).

Due to COVID and travel restrictions, I've only made 28 dives so far.

Holy diving batman! How many dives would you have done without the current situation?

Interesting. I have a rechargeable 14500 battery in my Perdix AI since Jan 2020. Due to COVID and travel restrictions, I've only made 28 dives so far. My battery level is still 100% (Bar all the way up).

I am using a Petrel 2 Ext with a rebreather. It may have a greater power draw than a Perdix?? In any case the 14500's are not great and the Energizer Lithium's last much longer.

your JJ can use 14500 rechargeables as well, just have to replace about twice as often as the SAFT's
Changing those batteries is very fiddly and a flood risk. Because they last essentially forever the saving is insignificant compared to the risk of a flood or a missed dive. An expensive battery is still nothing compared to gas, cells and sorb.

Holy diving batman! How many dives would you have done without the current situation?
:)
Maybe 50. But there are many people who dive multiples of this number on this board. I mean like 150 or even more. There are those who dive 5-10 dives/week.

I don't know how you have the time for that much diving. Truly impressive.

Back
Top Bottom