Perdix AI Battery Drain Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's just after 1pm here. I already went diving this morning, saw my favorite turtles and came home and made lemon poppyseed muffins.

Yes - you might even get a few more dives out of it. I’ve only seen a yellow warning once and replaced before the next dive. I usually just replace proactively before big trips - once a year or so regardless.
What do you think of 14500s for the wrist unit and continuing to use an oring in the transmitter if it looks ok? I'd get my wife a decent supply of those sorts of materials.

It's just after 1pm here. I already went diving this morning, saw my favorite turtles and came home and made lemon poppyseed muffins.
Now you are REALLY off topic.

Removed ... I had not caught up on the full thread and what I posted was already covered by others

Do the wrist units display the battery level of the transmitters?

Yes, Shearwaters do. Not all computers do. And some do not display it during a dive.
For clarity, the PPS transmitters (and I assume the Swift as well) only send 3 battery levels. OK, Warning, and Critical or something like that. The Shearwater computers will display nothing if the transmitter is sending OK. They will show an alarm for the other two levels. This information is also recorded in the log and will be available with some dive log programs.

You won't however always see a transmitter battery level. My Oceanic computer(s) have a menu path where you can check the battery level. I believe they will also display the warning, but not positive. They don't, however, save the level as part of the log.

What do you think of 14500s for the wrist unit and continuing to use an oring in the transmitter if it looks ok? I'd get my wife a decent supply of those sorts of materials.
I use 14500 3.7V rechargeable Lithiums in my Perdix. They generally don't last quite as long as some other options, but they work fine. The work with vibration alerts on the Perdix 2 and also work with the Fuel Gauge feature. Unlikely to suddenly be dead like SAFT are. If the o-ring looks good, adding a small coat of grease will be fine. I usually replace them, though. O-rings are cheap and I have lots of this size.

I don't believe Shearwater computers display the transmitter battery status on any of the screens
Thank you to those pointing out that warnings are given in the case of a low or critically low transmitter battery. I was thinking of a current status display (similar to the computer's battery), given the question that was posed.
Do the wrist units display the battery level of the transmitters?
I'm sorry for any confusion.

In my experience, the link starts experiencing dropouts before the battery warning is given. Certainly this is position dependent, but that seems to an early warning sign in some cases.

The transmitter battery monitoring on the Shearwaters is helpful and provides me with some level of comfort ... but ... I've learned to not trust batteries as they approach their end of life. Thus my process is to change them annually. In any given year, I will put 180-200 hours on my transmitters at most. The projected life of a fresh transmitter battery is 300 hours. Replacing them at 2/3s of their useful life works for me and provides me some piece of mind. YMMV.

My computer batteries I change at 6 months. I've never had to change one because it has dropped to red or even yellow. I will then recycle these and use them in other electronics around the house ... lights, clocks, etc.

I use 14500 3.7V rechargeable Lithiums in my Perdix. They generally don't last quite as long as some other options, but they work fine. The work with vibration alerts on the Perdix 2 and also work with the Fuel Gauge feature. Unlikely to suddenly be dead like SAFT are. If the o-ring looks good, adding a small coat of grease will be fine. I usually replace them, though. O-rings are cheap and I have lots of this size.
I don't mind replacing o-rings, I was just trying to set up a cheap jab so I could ask him why he'd apply flame to a mask but not reuse an o-ring. However, the "kits" are just a panasonic battery and an o-ring for 12-13 bucks, while the same battery alone is far cheaper and o-rings are like a nickel for a dozen. Anyway I'm not sweating o-rings, just trying to enjoy the forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom