Perdix AI Battery Drain Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you to those pointing out that warnings are given in the case of a low or critically low transmitter battery. I was thinking of a current status display (similar to the computer's battery), given the question that was posed.

I'm sorry for any confusion.

In my experience, the link starts experiencing dropouts before the battery warning is given. Certainly this is position dependent, but that seems to an early warning sign in some cases.
A warning when it's getting close seems fine to me as long as my wife would still have enough juice in it to finish her dive.

What do you think of 14500s for the wrist unit and continuing to use an oring in the transmitter if it looks ok? I'd get my wife a decent supply of those sorts of materials.
Go ahead and take your cheap jab - I have yet to replace an O-Ring in my Shearwaters - DC's or transmitters. I check them and lightly lube but have never replaced... and I have flamed my masks and it works really well (provided you are not an idiot about where and how long you apply flame)! :)

Go ahead and take your cheap jab - I have yet to replace an O-Ring in my Shearwaters - DC's or transmitters. I check them and lightly lube but have never replaced... and I have flamed my masks and it works really well (provided you are not an idiot about where and how long you apply flame!
Waiting a day took the fun out of my cheap jab, if there was much fun to be had anyway...

I think the thing about 14500s gets the thread back on point though. It doesn't seem like much of an issue to me (maybe) having to replace a AA battery more often.

Waiting a day took the fun out of my cheap jab, if there was much fun to be had anyway...
:cool:
I think the thing about 14500s gets the thread back on point though. It doesn't seem like much of an issue to me (maybe) having to replace a AA battery more often.
Same here - I don’t find replacing the Energizer Ultimate AA’s an issue (fast & easy). I just carry extras with me and will change proactively before any big dive trip.

I was away diving this weekend and got the low battery warning on my Perdix 2 between dives. It had a Saft LS14500 battery in it, last replaced in July. That battery lasted 21 dives until the warning in question. The last few dives were coldish (6-10 degrees C) and the warning came topside (about 0C), but the dives before that were mostly warmer. I don't think this is normal... Battery graphs in Shearwater Cloud shows both the old and new battery reading about 3.4V for the duration of the dive.

The lithium battery delivered with the Perdix 2 lasted 16 dives before the battery warning, which is when I replaced it with the Saft above. I put that down to the factory battery being old/bad/whatever, but who knows.

I'm ordering a set of Energizer Ultimate Lithiums now from the most reputable local source, in the hope that I got a batch of bad or fake batteries and that the computer itself is fine...

Hello Shearwater,

I have been noticing that my 2017 Perdix AI has been going through batteries at an alarming pace lately. I only use Energizer Lithium batteries and I initially thought that my store of such batteries did not survive covid well so I purchased new lithium batteries with long use by date. The last Energizer lithium battery that I used has a use by date of 12 2048. This was installed into my Perdix AI on 23 October. The dive log on my first dive with the newly installed battery shows Battery Type Lithium, Battery V (Start) 1.7v, Battery V (End) 1.7v. Subsequent to installing the new battery, I did 11 dives from 23 October until 26 October. My dive log for my last dive on 26 Oxtober shows Battery V (Start) 1.7v, Battery V (End) 1.6v.

I'm doing a pre trip check of my equipment today (13 November), which is 10 days after my last dive and the lithium battery is dead, The Perdix AI will not turn on when the buttons are pressed. However, It works normally when I install a new lithium battery.

Something is causing the battery to drain when it is not in use. It is not AI since I have that turned off. Any ideas?
Curious did you do a firmware update? perdix2 firmware v91/BT11 similar issues it seems as it chews through batteries

I was away diving this weekend and got the low battery warning on my Perdix 2 between dives. It had a Saft LS14500 battery in it, last replaced in July. That battery lasted 21 dives until the warning in question. The last few dives were coldish (6-10 degrees C) and the warning came topside (about 0C), but the dives before that were mostly warmer. I don't think this is normal... Battery graphs in Shearwater Cloud shows both the old and new battery reading about 3.4V for the duration of the dive.

The lithium battery delivered with the Perdix 2 lasted 16 dives before the battery warning, which is when I replaced it with the Saft above. I put that down to the factory battery being old/bad/whatever, but who knows.

I'm ordering a set of Energizer Ultimate Lithiums now from the most reputable local source, in the hope that I got a batch of bad or fake batteries and that the computer itself is fine...
Just updated firmware from V91/BT11 to v95/BT11 .... meter registers different battery usage.. oddly will monitor....

Curious did you do a firmware update? perdix2 firmware v91/BT11 similar issues it seems as it chews through batteries
I don’t recall doing a firmware update when I first noticed the issue.

For those fighting w battery drain... do step one.. update/check firmware

**DO NOTE** there are additions not listed in the [release notes blurbed] for the units like Bluetooth operational "changes" being added unbeknownst to the end user community lets we mention a ( un documented change effecting battery consumption ) ... [this is a concern] <discovered via FW transmission and Bluetooth capture w Strace on reassembled file during data-stream playback>
( Firmware updates effect the unit in ways outside what the release notes say be wary )

I am not saying new updates are stable nor am I saying they are faulty but more changes than the release notes clearly call out. [at least in the CircusClown Apps used to do the Updates]

FIRMWARE
PERDIX V93
PERDIXAI V93
PERDIX2 V95
PETREL V72
PETREL2 V97
PETREL3 V97
TEREC V23

Stay informed and stay focused
good day to all... I hope this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back