How do YOU enter the water?

How do YOU enter the water?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually just fall off ... especially when the weather is bad ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

dsaxe01:
Assuming:

You are on a boat,
the water is calm,
you have the ability to do anything

Quack...Quack....

:babycrawl

Or like a chicken!!

:chicken:

Or hmmm, maybe more like a beached whale...

:flush:

Now I'm confused.

:azvatar:

Ron

You are on a boat,
Not for long.

the water is calm,
Not when I hit it, it won't be.

you have the ability to do anything
Anything? Then I go for the flying tripple summer salt with the half gainer and make as big a splash as possible on entry. :D

scubalaurel:
It would be really funny to see a belly flop...
On one boat I frequent, the stern platform is awash. It's hard to work up a good giant stride when your fins are already in the water, so I just kind of do a belly flop, but at an angle so I land mostly on my shoulder.

In general, the best entry method depends a lot on the type of boat. When on a boat for the first time, if it isn't in the briefing, I'll ask for the recommendations on entry/exit procedures.

All other conditions/variables aside, there's just something about a backroll that is sooo much more fun than the rest.

I do the entry that best suits the situation, as simple as that :)

I have been doing mostly backwards roll. That's because the boats I've been diving from have been very suitable for the backwards roll. If on a larger boat I guess it would be the giant stride.

Most of the boats I dive from have a stern platform that is awash. This makes giant strides difficult. So what I do is stand on the platform with my heels on the aft end of the platform, facing the bow with my back to the water. I place one hand on the mask/reg and with the other I hold my camera/console to my stomach and I basically just sit down. This results in my landing on my back/buttocks in the water. This has the advantage of protecting the camera, console, family jewels, etc.

I don't know if there is a name for this or not. I call it the West Palm entry, named after the city where I first saw it demonstrated. It seems like most of the boats there use it.

I like to be lowered in by a davit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom