The scale of Cozumel’s economic problem with no cruise ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are trying to make a Coz trip work and will do what we can but certainly won't be "making it rain" dollars or doubling up on tips. For those of you doing well enough for that, congratulations. We have our own concerns, namely I'm on furlough that is looking like it will be permanent and losing thousands per month. If the elitists here or the workers in Coz are going to scoff at what we can afford, how about we just not come and Coz gets nada zip zilch?

You can't (fairly) just look at the economics through a single perspective. Coz may be losing a million per day but the people that were spending that million may also be suffering and not have it to spend. It isn't like the rest of the world is like it was before and only Coz was hurt.

I've always given the DM cash at end of each trip, except an occasional "forgot to bring cash" and make sure to let him know I'll catch him later or double up next day. As for tip sharing, that's for the shop to manage. I'm not going to get into managing or enforcing shop policies. Just thinking about it, I'm starting to consider just adding tip to final shop bill and letting them allocate it.

Sometimes DD, you just don't know what your saying.. Villa Aldora has a small staff and the same housekeeper is doing our room each day.. i also tipped the general maintenance guy...and just earlier, I bought a bunch of water for these military men in full garb protecting the local grocery store..its awfully hot out...

We are trying to make a Coz trip work and will do what we can but certainly won't be "making it rain" dollars or doubling up on tips. For those of you doing well enough for that, congratulations. We have our own concerns, namely I'm on furlough that is looking like it will be permanent and losing thousands per month. If the elitists here or the workers in Coz are going to scoff at what we can afford, how about we just not come and Coz gets nada zip zilch?

You can't (fairly) just look at the economics through a single perspective. Coz may be losing a million per day but the people that were spending that million may also be suffering and not have it to spend. It isn't like the rest of the world is like it was before and only Coz was hurt.

I've always given the DM cash at end of each trip, except an occasional "forgot to bring cash" and make sure to let him know I'll catch him later or double up next day. As for tip sharing, that's for the shop to manage. I'm not going to get into managing or enforcing shop policies. Just thinking about it, I'm starting to consider just adding tip to final shop bill and letting them allocate it.
You do what you can...heck, just coming and spending food, diving and lodging is a pretty penny and that alone is helping the economy here...

Something DD, you just don't know what your saying.. Villa Aldora has a small staff and the same housekeeper is doing our room each day.
I didn't know where you were staying, I don't memorize everything I read on the forum, but yeah I guess Aldora has a small staff. Sorry that she doesn't get a day off tho.

I bought a bunch of water for these military men in full garb protecting the local grocery store.
Armed guards at a grocery?

You do what you can...heck, just coming and spending food, diving and lodging is a pretty penny and that alone is helping the economy here...
My boat.

How about hotel room tips for a 10-day stay in Coz? What do most of you non-cheap folks tip???
I leave 5 bucks a day for the maid... so 9 nights would be 45 bucks.
10 bucks a tank for the DM if they've helped me in any way and not sucked.
2 or 3 bucks for the wait staff if it's a buffet type place which has a waiter to bring drinks and clear plates
1 dollar a drink for the bartender (even if it's an AI)

My boat.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="

.[/QUOTE]

DandyDon, he is talking about Sedena presumably. Store on edge of military base and close to Villa Aldora (it faces Melgar just north of airport road intersection). They usually have guards there. I am assuming that is because it looks like you walk right onto base via path by store

Do you have any idea how
[QUOTE="

.[/QUOTE]

DandyDon, he is talking about Sedena presumably. Store on edge of military base and close to Villa Aldora (it faces Melgar just north of airport road intersection). They usually have guards there. I am assuming that is because it looks like you walk right onto base via path by store[/QUOTE]
Yeppers

The OP quoting lots of $$ but remember the Cruise industry owns lots and lots of the places that the $$ are spent at!
Mexico City gets a huge chunk so in actuality the local economy is what the hard working citizens of Cozumel take home.
What’s the current minimum wage in Mexico ?

The OP quoting lots of $$ but remember the Cruise industry owns lots and lots of the places that the $$ are spent at!
Mexico City gets a huge chunk so in actuality the local economy is what the hard working citizens of Cozumel take home.
What’s the current minimum wage in Mexico ?

About $6.50 per day

He's making fun of us cheap folks, isn't he?
Yep.

I've wondered if there were many not bothering since I seldom notice others tipping DMs. I figured that I just missed those handoffs.
I sometimes tip each boat trip to the DM. I have in the past used envelopes to each person involved in my trip including the boat captains, the one who schlepps the tanks to be refilled, the scheduler, and DMs. I have developed a daily number and use that at the end of the trip. I sometimes use Pesos and sometimes USDollars. It takes a pretty healthy wad of cash at the end of the trip to do it this way. Each envelope is sealed with their name on it. They seem to be glad to see me when I get back to the island. Maybe it's just my personality.

I'd love to see those barges scrapped and the island returned to itself.
That may happen sooner than later. The old island and it's personality was nice.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom