Regulator Rinsing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After each day of diving, I rinse my regulator (Apex FSR + XTX200 + XTX40) for a bit pressurized. While rising the second stages, I hit the purge button. Is this the correct procedure?

Today one of my second stages free-flowed while doing this. I had to move the venturi lever to stop it.

After each day of diving, I rinse my regulator (Apex FSR + XTX200 + XTX40) for a bit pressurized. While rising the second stages, I hit the purge button. Is this the correct procedure?

Today one of my second stages free-flowed while doing this. I had to move the venturi lever to stop it.

Yes, I only rinse and soak my regulators while pressurized; and your free-flow was very easily remedied.

Some of mine are tuned almost to the edge of free-flow . . .

Yes, I only rinse and soak my regulators while pressurized; and your free-flow was very easily remedied.

Some of mine are tuned almost to the edge of free-flow . . .

Purging while rinsing the pressurized second stage is not an issue then, right?

No issue at all. The reason it keep them pressurized while rinsing is so that if the purge gets bumped (as happened to you) then air goes out, rather than water getting in (also as happened to you!). All is good.
Respectfully,
James

Not an issue at all if pressurized.

If you have a "hard" water or water with high mineral content like we do here in Libya, it leaves deposits that look like salt deposits on the regulator and dive equipment. I buy filtered water and fill a large bucket and use it to rinse sensitive scuba equipment.

I shower with mine. The more intimate you are with your regs, the better they'll treat you.

If you have a "hard" water or water with high mineral content like we do here in Libya, it leaves deposits that look like salt deposits on the regulator and dive equipment. I buy filtered water and fill a large bucket and use it to rinse sensitive scuba equipment.

The same is true, for this part of Northern California. The TDS -- total dissolved solids -- locally, is about 275-300 ppm. For comparison, most commercial RO "filtered" water is about 5-10 ppm . . .

i don't sweat water in the regs or up the hoses... to a point. My first stages sit on the counter while the 2nds are in the sink, and my unpressurized Atomics (seat saver valve) probably get water up the barrel and three inches up the hose. No big deal. I hang them on a towel ring after soaking overnight, and then put 'em on a tank for a quick blast before storing them away.
It's water in the first stage you need to worry about. Nothing wrong with it in a second.
In fact, with my normal second stages, I'll hit the purge to deliberately get fresh water past the orifice, so salt crystals don't form on drying.

i don't sweat water in the regs or up the hoses... to a point. My first stages sit on the counter while the 2nds are in the sink, and my unpressurized Atomics (seat saver valve) probably get water up the barrel and three inches up the hose. No big deal. I hang them on a towel ring after soaking overnight, and then put 'em on a tank for a quick blast before storing them away.
It's water in the first stage you need to worry about. Nothing wrong with it in a second.
Yup. The most important part is that you do rinse.

Just never rinse your regulators in a community rinse tub with other people's wet suits, pressurized or not if you get my meaning!

Back
Top Bottom