Regulator Rinsing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were told in reg rebuild class soak in warm water for an hour in the tub, then drain and soak again for another hour (obviously fresh water with dust cap on).I don't actively place them in a way for water to get to the 1st stage, but I'm not exactly anal about keeping it out either. I can't see how it could get to the 1st stage. I do not pressurize while soaking. Once back from whatever place you go, let dry with cap off hanging for a few days (I believe we were told a week, but don't hold me to that) before adding dust cap and wrapping up in a reg bag or whatever.

This is all info we were told in class. I NEVER took care of my regs until I was cert. to open them up. I would dunk in a tank for 10 seconds, swish around and call it a day. Now I take much better care of them. I've already done my service this year, so I'll see what they look like in 18 months or so (or whenever) and adjust rinsing accordingly.

Question..if one were to get good clean water in the 1st (let's call it moisture, if your 1st is flooded I think we can agree you have bigger issues), what harm do you think that could cause? If it's purged out or let dry over the coming week I can't see that being an issue. Now if you let it soak and then seal it up I can see some issues, but what's moisture do if inside the 1st for a few minutes / hours? I don't see anything that a little moisture could harm inside (unless again if it sat there for weeks). Serious question...

Question..if one were to get good clean water in the 1st (let's call it moisture, if your 1st is flooded I think we can agree you have bigger issues), what harm do you think that could cause? If it's purged out or let dry over the coming week I can't see that being an issue. Now if you let it soak and then seal it up I can see some issues, but what's moisture do if inside the 1st for a few minutes / hours? I don't see anything that a little moisture could harm inside (unless again if it sat there for weeks).

Your question presupposes that it is simply water and not necessarily oils, salts and miscellaneous grit that may be also be introduced, from a bucket or soaking tank.

The lion's share of first stage interiors, are simply "raw" brass (an amalgam of copper, tin, and zinc) and highly prone -- reactive -- to corrosion from any source of moisture; and is a commonly seen, potentially expensive event in annual maintenance. Should the corrosion affect a sealing surface, that can pose a serious and even permanent problem; and I've seen regulators that have been a total mess, from the dunk tank. Dust caps are seldom if ever water tight.

It wouldn't truly be an issue if you were routinely disassemble that first stage and physically clean it, as is done with rebuilds -- which, will not occur. as a real world event. In fact, regulators are often placed in a caustic solution in an ultrasonic cleaner and then carefully rinsed with water; and completely dried afterwards -- often with high pressure air from tanks . . .

Your question presupposes that it is simply water and not necessarily oils, salts and grit that may be also be introduced, from a bucket or soaking tank.

The lion's share of first stage interiors, are simply "raw" brass (copper, tin, and zinc) and highly prone -- reactive -- to corrosion from any source of moisture; and is a commonly seen, potentially expensive event in annual maintenance. Should the corrosion affect a sealing surface, that can pose a serious and even permanent problem; and I've seen regulators that have been a total mess, from the dunk tank. Dust caps are seldom if ever water tight.

It wouldn't truly be an issue if you were disassemble that first stage and physically clean it, as is done with rebuilds. In fact, they are often placed in a caustic solution in an ultrasonic cleaner and carefully rinsed with water; and completely dried afterwards -- often with high pressure air from tanks . . .

Yeah I just had to disassemble my double hose because I soaked it overnight in my bucket with the cap loose. When I picked it up I blew into the mouthpiece and water came out the can, ok good. Then I grabbed the can to hang it up and water came pouring out the mouthpiece! Had to have come from the inhalation side because I've got one way valves on both sides of the mouthpiece which could only mean the water got in thru the 1st stage! Stupid!

I took the can apart put the reg on a tank and held the lever down until the air blew dry. Wiped everything down and reassembled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom