DIY Warm Neck for Silicone Seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Piggybacking off of my previous post;
Neoprene Neck Seal vs Silicone

I'm interested to see if anyone has installed a "Warm Neck" after the fact or maybe has one already on their suit? I'm hoping maybe I can get the best of both worlds, less leaking / seeping with the silicone seal and also warm(er) than silicone by itself with the neoprene on top.

Does anyone have experience with just having a silicone seal and then switching to one with a warm neck on it? I know there's a couple drysuits that come manufactured this way, 03 I think? Waterproof as well?

I found them here at Seaskin;
Warm neck Hook and Loop for DIY fitting - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

Thanks!

I have a warm neck on my Nova suit, the one with Velcro which makes putting it over my head easier, also easier to tuck in the hood. On my ultra suit I opted to not get the warm neck, the only time I really notice it is at the beginning of a dive on the surface, I get used to it pretty quickly but it is missed in the hood holding role.

I have a warm neck on my Nova suit, the one with Velcro which makes putting it over my head easier, also easier to tuck in the hood. On my ultra suit I opted to not get the warm neck, the only time I really notice it is at the beginning of a dive on the surface, I get used to it pretty quickly but it is missed in the hood holding role.

To an extent my thinking is that it has to affect the body throughout a dive....right? I mean, all the blood flows through the neck, in reality it's all getting a little cold each time. I'm "thinking" it might not be something that people notice, but definitely makes a difference after an hour....what do you think having both? And where does it get glued on?

Do you have pictures? I know that's a pain, but Seaskin's one downfall is lack of pictures for some of their DIY stuff.

To an extent my thinking is that it has to affect the body throughout a dive....right? I mean, all the blood flows through the neck, in reality it's all getting a little cold each time. I'm "thinking" it might not be something that people notice, but definitely makes a difference after an hour....what do you think having both? And where does it get glued on?

Do you have pictures? I know that's a pain, but Seaskin's one downfall is lack of pictures for some of their DIY stuff.
Black lace, I don’t know if this is original as I bought the suit used with the quick neck already installed, this is the simple warm neck style.

ADC6CC70-862C-496B-AE34-93B8F4B47FCC.jpeg
C725CEA5-FF72-4548-961E-4DC077410C6C.jpeg

The adjustable warm neck on my seaskin nova
02F3DB6A-C6D0-4AFF-B89B-D48248A0ECC5.jpeg
472A1EA6-E32F-475E-9A7B-C3390A791914.jpeg

The ultra suit without warm neck
BBDA27F1-8CD4-4DEE-87F4-FA56D3996B2C.jpeg

I think the hood does more to keep your neck warm than any add on does, I have been meaning to try one of those neo neck seals but haven’t found a good enough price yet, my silicone seals just last and last.

I’ll take some pics a bit later and edit then in here. I think the hood does more to keep your neck warm than any add on does, I have been meaning to try one of those neo neck seals but haven’t found a good enough price yet, my silicone seals just last and last.

If it helps a little to keep the water way from the neck it's gotta help some. Does it ever "get in the way"? Like it becomes an annoyance for some reason?

Being a little damp in the summer on the chest and back is ok, but dealing with it in the winter might be a different story. Last winter I did ok, always trying to make things better though.

edit: the cheapest I've found a neo neck seal is ~ $75 or so, but I think I'd still be getting wet some compared to the silicone seal. That's why I'd like the best of both. My quarry is 41f at the bottom pretty much all year, every little bit helps....not to mention the "warm neck" and a silicone neck seal with everything is cheaper than JUST the neo neck seal that slips in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom