Fatality on Rosalie Moller wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did the victim have a very long break from diving maybe at some point ? Maybe she had an incident recently leading her to lose confidence.

Thanks OP for sharing and sorry that you had to witness the incident.

No, planned depth on Rosi is 40m. And doing a little deco on a 80cft is not uncommon in Egypt. With the right boat, the right DM and the right people you do dives that you do not brag about when you come back. 30-40-60 is the rule.
The acident sounds like real bad luck.
Just because everyone is doing a little deco on a single 80 doesn't make it wise.

There was way more than bad luck here
Poor weighting
Poor gas plan
Poor gas choice
Minimal gas reserves
Borrowed equipment
Inexperience or apprehension about the dive

No, planned depth on Rosi is 40m. And doing a little deco on a 80cft is not uncommon in Egypt. With the right boat, the right DM and the right people you do dives that you do not brag about when you come back. 30-40-60 is the rule.
The acident sounds like real bad luck.
What is 30-40-60?

I deco dive and doing “a little” deco routinely on an aluminum 80 (which is really only 77 cu ft) is a terrible idea IMO.

yikes 10kg is a lot for anyone in a 3mm (which turns paper thin at 30m)

My better half normally carries 7-8 kilos in an old 2mm shorty and she's not fat. 10 kg sounds a bit much but without knowing the victim's shape and size I wouldn't call it "yikes a lot".

I was informed by a reputable dive operator that CDWS requires a tec instructor to be present any time a decompression dive is conducted in Egypt. I have also been told by a liveaboard operator that the tec instructor also needs to CDWS certified to do a decompression dive from a liveaboard, but I am unsure if that that is accurate.

My better half normally carries 7-8 kilos in an old 2mm shorty and she's not fat. 10 kg sounds a bit much but without knowing the victim's shape and size I wouldn't call it "yikes a lot".
And I use 4 kilos in a drysuit. This is one aspect of diving that is baffling to me.

Detachable weights... (remember poor soul who lost his weight while being upside down in his dry suit with his boots ballooned?)

Back
Top Bottom