How important is a depth gauge as part of a reg set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny, I was going to bring up the PADI wheel, which I used to use back in the day. I actually liked it, although I'm sure they've long since relegated it to the trash heap. I'd bet someone could find one on one of the auction sites, it might be fun for the OP to play around with if he wants to work with dive tables.

I saw one on eBay a few weeks ago.... nearly bought it!

I'm a science nerd at heart and need to have some understanding of what is going on in spite of following the DC.

I saw one on eBay a few weeks ago.... nearly bought it!

I'm a science nerd at heart and need to have some understanding of what is going on in spite of following the DC.

You would probably enjoy reading some stuff about basic deco theory, like an introduction to the concept of tissue compartment models. There's a good chapter in the PADI encyclopedia of recreational diving; I'm afraid there's not too much good stuff in that book, but that chapter is good. Not too technical but does a good job of explaining the idea that parts of our bodies absorb and release N2 at differing speeds, and that has big implications for how decompression requirements change on repetitive dives and/or long shallower dives vs short deeper dives.

It's funny, I was going to bring up the PADI wheel, which I used to use back in the day. I actually liked it, although I'm sure they've long since relegated it to the trash heap. I'd bet someone could find one on one of the auction sites, it might be fun for the OP to play around with if he wants to work with dive tables.

PADI replaced the wheel with eRDPml (electronic Recreational Dive Planner multi-level)...it is a calculator type device that prompts the user for information and spits out pressure groups, bottom time for depth, etc. PADI included it in the DM, AI, and Instructor crewpacks for awhile...they recently retired the device in favor of an app based version of it (Plastic eRDPML™ Retires - PADI Pros). The DM test a had a few questions that required using it, and the question/answers from what I recall were specific to ensuring the DM candidate actually had their hands on the device and was actually using it:

upload_2020-9-30_17-44-21.jpeg

A dive computer renders the wheel and eRDPml (in any form) something akin to absurd.

-Z

PADI replaced the wheel with eRDPml (electronic Recreational Dive Planner multi-level)...it is a calculator type device that prompts the user for information and spits out pressure groups, bottom time for depth, etc. PADI included it in the DM, AI, and Instructor crewpacks for awhile...they recently retired the device in favor of an app based version of it (Plastic eRDPML™ Retires - PADI Pros). The DM test a had a few questions that required using it, and the question/answers from what I recall were specific to ensuring the DM candidate actually had their hands on the device and was actually using it:

View attachment 615238

A dive computer renders the wheel and eRDPml (in any form) something akin to absurd.

-Z
When I did my DM there was no requirement to use anything other than the tables if I remember it right, but everyone had computers. I kept the wheel in my bag as a back up if my computer failed, which never has happened to me during a dive.

When I did my DM there was no requirement to use anything other than the tables if I remember it right......................................

When I did DM and OWSI there was no agency requirement to a specific thing, at least that I recall, but the law here requires use of computers for students and dive shop employees. I needed to be competent to teach tables, but personally I didn't use them for diving. The wheel came in the DM theory pack, there was at least one exam that required use of it but that was some years ago so my memory could be flawed. I used it for my log book to practice, I took the depth and times from my computer and used the wheel to populate the pressure groups in my logbook, but it didn't factor into any dive planning. It was clear then that tables had their place but computers were a much better way to enjoy recreational diving.

I only dug my tables out when Pedro started posting questions about them. I did my OW course with depth gauges but ever since its been console computers or wrist computers. I've seen a few broken straps but never seen a computer fail. If I think of all the dives I have lead, and all the computers in the water with dive groups, these are a highly reliable device.

I had to learn the wheel for DM but to be honest all I remember is it was a total convoluted pain in the ass.
I think I forgot about them as fast or faster than I learned them.
From what I remember they were good for three different levels but you needed to know the levels before or it threw the whole thing off. And then if you were one notch off it also threw the whole thing off. We’re they supposed to be taken on dive to be used underwater?
I knew I would never use them because a lot of our diving was exploration and we had no idea of our profiles ahead of time. There were a lot of sawtooth profiles and sheer wall stuff.
Computers opened up a whole new world for us.

Is it a good idea to have one as a backup in case my dive computer goes out?

I post this here rather than the gauges section because I'm beginning to shop around for my first reg set and I'm considering options from Deep6 and HOG because I like the idea of learning to service them myself some day.

I'm looking at the single tank package from Deep6 where the gauge options are +$75 for an SPG or +$200 for a two gauge console. Deep 6 Configurable Single Tank Package

DGX has a Deep6 "streamlined" setup for a bit less $$ and comes with only the SPG option. DGX Custom - DGX Gears D6 Streamlined OW Reg Package

Last, I'm considering getting a HOG set assembled from individual pieces at Divers-supply. If I go with an SPG I can get it for about the same $$ as the DGX setup if I only go with an SPG.

I know with any of these I can switch to a console later on but I'm wondering if I should just spend the extra cash now or just rely on my dive computer alone.
Forget about it. It is a silly idea. No one uses depth gauge anymore. But if you want just buy on on ebay for $5 and keep it in your pocket. If I had one I would give it to you for free, but unfortunately I threw them all if the trash. If I were you, I would keep only spg on the the hp hose and use good computer with air pressure transmitter. Even if you computer goes out in 10 years during your dive, use you dive body as a reference. That's the reason you dive with someone, right?

I have a dive computer and only dive rec but I just bought a ScubaPro console3 on ebay. Doesnt hurt to have a backup.

How is that? If you are diving using a computer it is multi profile dive. Gauge will not help you to know your NDL. In order for you to dive by gauges you need to plan your dive before you get into the water and stick with that profile. If your computer goes bad you need to end your dive or use your buddy as a reference. How is the gauges is your back up. Better to have a spare computer instead of bulky console. Some people when they dive they look like Christmas tree under water. We not in 60's anymore. Wake up!

Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom