i survived the tsunami!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania:
Clive
Can I translate your story and publish it - of course with your nick - in our Polish diving board?
Mania

yes no problem.

my doctor has given me the contact details for someone good, apparently they use something called edm, which was used after vietnam.

Clive, no one knows exactly what they were put on earth to do, or why they do certain things. I have to believe that you were put here in part to save that little girls life. What you did is absolutley amazing, and in my eyes, you are a hero in the purest form. You didn't go looking for someone to save, but when the time came along, you were able to do it. I think that there are a lot of us here that will always think of you as a hero for what you did, and I am always here for you if you ever need anything.

We are so thankful that you and your family survived. This board, and this world just wouldn't be the same without you!

(((((HUGS)))))
Kayla

Clive,
I have had extensive first aid medical training and i would have done everything you did, including setting the oxygen level where you did at half on.. That girls is verry lucky to be alive. The other important thing you did was to keep 'stunning" her by pinching her toes which probably kept her from going into full shock. I believe that God guides our hands in certain circumstances and that seems to be the case here. I don't know what you believe but I am glad you were there.
Most people who do heroic things often don't accept the title of "hero" which makes your humility an even more appealing character that you posses.
Good luck with the counseling and always remember that even though people might have it rougher somewhere else that pain is relative to our own experience.
God Bless.
Seamus AKA TrueGreenMarine

clive francis:
the only training i have had was my rescue diver and medic first aid a couple of years ago.

and lets face it that doesn't equip you for this sort of thing, i don't think any thing does.

i wasn't sure if the oxygen was a good thing to do at the time, but it seemed right.

she had lost a lot of blood and logic said that if she had lost a lot of blood then her oxygen levels would be low.

again i didn't know what to set it too, so i thought it was better to have a little too much rather than not enough, so i set it to half on the delivery guage.

would be nice if some one medically trained said it was the right thing or did no harm.

rang the number they gave me and they weren't much use, and the guy quickly changed the subject when i started talking about her injuries.

i am going to see my doctor this afternoon, hopefully he can help.

i haven't been sleeping too well and have been getting headaches, as well as the tears.

my wife said i was a hero for saving the girls life, what i did wasn't brave or heroic, i just did what i had to.

thanks everyone for your kind words

Clive,
I would be honoured to meet you in Dubai, next time you are over. If you need anything during your stay in the Middle East just contact me :)

Jalal Selo

diver371:
Clive,
I would be honoured to meet you in Dubai, next time you are over. If you need anything during your stay in the Middle East just contact me :)

Jalal Selo

put my kit in today for a service, its never been done and i have had them nearly 4 years - thought it best not to push my luck!

my wife gave me money for christmas to dive with the sharks at blue planet, she wants me to get back in the water quick, but don't think i'm ready for that quite yet.

OMG!
Glad you are safe, but so sorry for soooo many who aren't. Many moons ago, I was an exchange student to one of the affected countries whose people were very kind to me. And yes, I have put my money where my mouth is.

I hope you sleep well soon, because you did well. If you're out this way, let me know.

justleesa:
No one ever plans to be a hero Clive - you won't see it, it's what the others see in you :10:
TrueGreenMarine:
Clive,. . .
Most people who do heroic things often don't accept the title of "hero" which makes your humility an even more appealing character that you posses.
Good luck with the counseling and always remember that even though people might have it rougher somewhere else that pain is relative to our own experience.
God Bless.
Seamus AKA TrueGreenMarine
Clive,

The people whom I've considered heros were all people who did what they had to do, that felt no recourse. I can't imagine a true hero who set out to be one (though there might be a few in history).
You were there, you did what you did, you are a hero.

Tom

an absolutely amazing story. there needs to be more people like you in the world. a normal person would have freaked out and not known what to do. you however kept your cool and got her to a hospital and because of that this young girl will be able to live on. it is an absolute shame that so many people had to die with this natural disaster but atleast this girl will soon be able to return to her home. thank you so much!!!!! and may god be with you and the other people that have been affected by the tsunamis.

clive francis:
i wasn't sure if the oxygen was a good thing to do at the time, but it seemed right.

she had lost a lot of blood and logic said that if she had lost a lot of blood then her oxygen levels would be low.

again i didn't know what to set it too, so i thought it was better to have a little too much rather than not enough, so i set it to half on the delivery guage.

would be nice if some one medically trained said it was the right thing or did no harm.

Clive -

You did absolutely the right thing with the towel around the thigh, and the oxygen was incredibly good thinking. Not only did it not do any harm, but it is exactly what she would have gotten at any Emergency Room and likely improved her outcome and/or saved her life!

Good Job!

DocHueb
Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon

Hey Tom,
You are right about heroes. I have known many a hero and none of them asked for any recognition nor sought to become one.
I have a friend who just left for your country serving in the Air Force/US.
Thanks for serving our country.
By the way, I used to dive in PI all the time back in 90 and 91.
Good luck on all your adventures.
Seamus AKA TrueGreen Marine

Nomaster:
Clive,

The people whom I've considered heros were all people who did what they had to do, that felt no recourse. I can't imagine a true hero who set out to be one (though there might be a few in history).
You were there, you did what you did, you are a hero.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom