Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some interesting things here...

1. I don’t know if a device that is only capable of receiving radio broadcasts is required to go through FCC testing. I assume this is required for devices that have a transmitter only. Bluetooth of course is bidirectional, while the passive scanning of a PPS transmitter would not be. Looking at Shearwater for example, I only see listings for the Teric, and what I assume is it’s Wireless charging components https://fccid.io/2AO24. The lack of listing doesn’t rule out the possibility of the watch supporting PPS transmitters.

2. I think I found an accidental listing for the watch at this site here: Garmin Descent™ Mk2 Dive Computer Series - Neptonics. It seems to confirm that there will be atleast a sonar transmitter.

It could be an improvement over the PPS transmitter, but given that everyone owns a Shearwater, it would be naive of Garmin to only support a transmitter that isn’t an industry standard yet. Given their support of Ant+, I really hope that this isn’t the case.

Don’t forget that any dive computer that lets you download your log wirelessly has to have a transmitter inside.

I don’t know if a device that is only capable of receiving radio broadcasts is required to go through FCC testing. I assume this is required for devices that have a transmitter only.
Your assumption is correct.
The lack of listing doesn’t rule out the possibility of the watch supporting PPS transmitters.
Agreed.
It could be an improvement over the PPS transmitter, but given that everyone owns a Shearwater,
Or owns an Oceanic, or a Sherwood, or a.... Lots of PPS-compatible computers.
Garmin is no doubt confident that lack of transmitter compatibility will not be a deal breaker for most people.
No doubt. But confidence is no guarantee of correctness.

There is probably a large market of folks with older PPS-compatible computers who would plan to relegate them to backup status and put a MkIIi on their other arm as the primary.

There is probably a large market of folks with older PPS-compatible computers who would plan to relegate them to backup status and put a MkIIi on their other arm as the primary.

A market that will most likely end up with a substantial percentage holding out for a Peregrine AI...

Don’t forget that any dive computer that lets you download your log wirelessly has to have a transmitter inside.

But the transmitter needn't be in the FCC realm: IR, ultrasonic, and a wire is always an option.

But the transmitter needn't be in the FCC realm: IR, ultrasonic, and a wire is always an option.

I specifically said wirelessly. And, what IR or ultrasonic device are you thinking the dive computer would download TO? I don't know of any current dive computer that uses anything but Bluetooth for wireless downloading. Is there one currently in production that uses something else?

I have a cressi that downloads via IR light.
I had an Aeris that did that too, but it used a dongle on the dive computer to pick up the IR signal and then moved it over a wire to my PC. So it used IR, but it was not wireless. How does your Cressi work?

I had an Aeris that did that too, but it used a dongle on the dive computer to pick up the IR signal and then moved it over a wire to my PC. So it used IR, but it was not wireless. How does your Cressi work?

You put the computer, mine is a giotto, upside down in a (expensive!) usb receiver cradle
20200512_085745.jpg

Back
Top Bottom