Homestead Crater Utah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AkRayAz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Planning on going to Utah for the Christmas holiday. Has anyone dived the Homestead Crater? I’d like to dive Christmas Day or the day after, but need a dive buddy. Any divers diving over the holiday at the crater? Would like to join if possible.

I have dived there many times, teaching classes, although not in recent years. It think they do allow solo diving, although I cannot be sure. (Perhaps you don't allow it yourself.) There will be people there. Classes reserve the crater for their use, but divers not in large groups are allowed in during classes. It is possible that someone else who is diving then will be willing to take you as a buddy.

It is not a big dive site--more like a smallish pool. It is maybe 60 feet across and 67 feet deep. It can be dark, depending upon the condition of their lighting, which in the past was pretty hit or miss. You may want to bring a light--I don't know if they rent them. (They rent pretty much anything else you need.) If you go to the bottom and put your hand down, you can feel the warm water coming in.

That time of the year you can go for a dive in the morning and ski iat Park City n the afternoon, assuming you are not too concerned about elevation change. (You will be breaking the flying after diving rule.)

You may want to ask this question in the regional forum for the Rocky Mountains.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos of the place, and I called the office for more information. They said it was open part of the day, and offer a dive guide, just maybe not the days I’m visiting. I wouldn’t do solo or go skiing after...I’m an Eskimo, but not into skiing much anymore & would rather be safe than sorry.

When I answered I completely forgot that they would likely have different rules now due to Covid-19.

Well I’m on the waiting list, so hopefully I’ll get a dive in for the holiday. They didn’t mention anything about the coof restriction, but I also didn’t ask.

I only went before but they were strict about the dive buddy before, don't think it matters if you have a solo certification. It was a fun, very zen dive, I'd do it again. Would love to see snow coming through the top of the dome.

The staff was firm on having a dive buddy & no dive along buddy at this time. So I’m hoping to get a dive in, but we’ll see how it goes. Haven’t been to UT, and looking forward to seeing snow again.

Yes a buddy is required. You may want to try posting on the local FB group Utah Scuba Divers or pay one of their "guides" to dive with you.

Diving in the dome is a unique experience. The warm water is lovely, I’ve been there several times, mostly for certifying students.

The viz is hit and miss, depending on how many people were in the water prior to entry; rather, what they were doing in the water. If people go down to the bottom and stir it up then the viz drops.

The staff has not allowed solo diving for the past several years. You can “higher” a DM for around $25 or hope to come across an insta-buddy. You only get a two hour slot so, set your gear up before your time slot begins. I’ve been there when one of the staff members was harping at people to get out because it was past their time.

Taking a light is preferable. I’ve dived it without a light, but taking one with you on the dive will allow you to see more stuff.

They do rent gear. Be sure to double check the gear to ensure it is functioning properly. I’ve never rented gear there except tanks, but I’ve seen others who have. One group next to mine checked a dump valve on the BCD and it came off. That group’s instructor told her student “good job on your check and welcome to renting scuba gear”.

Since the elevation is a mile high be sure to make your ascent nice and slow, and your safety stop for 3 to 5 minutes and at a depth of around 13 feet, even though there is a pvc pipe hanging at 15 feet.

Thank you, I have my own gear. If anything we’ll enjoy a soak/swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom