Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit of a collector - mostly Seiko, but one Rolex.

The Submariner is the real deal. 904 Stainless steel, in-house movement, tough as nails. But... many places we all dive are 3rd world countries with very low wages and wealth. I personally wouldn't dive with a Rolex in these countries as it seems to flaunt wealth. It can also be a target for thieves.

Those that say Rolexes are too expensive, consider two watches:

- Nice Seiko, purchased for $350, and worth about $200 a few years later. $150 loss.
- Rolex Sub, used, $6500, and worth about $7500 a few years later. $1000 gain.

Economics majors should rightly point out "opportunity cost" but the above numbers can sometimes be used to justify buying that nice Rolex! :)

Now, for me, there is no real added value in having a diving watch compared to a diving computer. Even less when you wear two diving computers. Am I wrong? Then, the real question of this thread: is it worth buying a Rolex Submariner, the self called ultimate diver watch?

@Dody,

I don't use a PDC. For the local, walk-in, fresh water, OC, solo, recreational diving I do these days, I use analog gauges and a self-winding divers watch.

There are many serviceable divers watches available. One can spend from a few hundred dollars to several tens of thousands of dollars. A chronograph is generally a bit more expensive than its non-chronograph cousin.

Google to learn what the minimum requirements are for a competent dive watch.

Good luck.

rx7diver

P.S. A good dive watch necessarily will be bulky and heavy--even if you replace the bracelet with a NATO band.

I personally wouldn't dive with a Rolex in these countries as it seems to flaunt wealth. It can also be a target for thieves.

You can always use a counterfeit Rolex that only costs $200. There are companies that specialize in making high quality counterfeit Rolex watches and they aren't cheap :)

I have a fair few watches, mostly not expensive. Several are dive watches (Seiko, Sekuro, Citizen, Casio). They are amongst my everyday wear so I guess I do dive with them, but they are usually under the sleeve of my wet/dry suit. Sometimes I'll time a safety stop with one just for fun.
Oddly, I got the Seiko from my father. He not only never dived but thought I was mad for doing so. He has many watches, but usually $20 from Walmart, so I doubt he dropped the cash to buy a Seiko. My brother was certified OW in the '90s, so I asked him if he bought it-nope. In short: the old boy now has dementia so nobody knows where this watch came from.

It’s a tossup as to what new divers buy that is least useful: a dive watch or a dive knife. If you want something expensive that’s well engineered, go for a high end dive computer like a Shearwater.

My Shearwater sort of IS my luxury dive watch. I have no need for it’s advanced capabilities, my janky old Subgear got the job done, but having a high end computer hanging on my wrist makes me feel (and look?) like a real diver! If you’re into pricy mechanical wristwatches and also into diving by all means you should combine the two interests. Jumping off the boat wearing your Submariner and checking the time at 100’ would be SO cool... But it would only be cool for cools sake, not anything practical, you would still need your computer on your other wrist and it has a real-time clock too.

I bought a Casio D1000 about 40 years ago for $18.00 I used it on dives to over 100 feet with no problems. I still have it, though I don't dive with it anymore. It's a sleek flat compact watch that's nothing like the ugly G Shock Casios that people with no taste like, monstrosities that appear to have been inflated. I've been offered as much as $400 for the old Casio by collectors. These days I dive with a battery powered $100 Seiko diver that has worked perfectly for the past 20+ years. I replace the battery and the O rings every 2 years. It's easy. Computers are fine, but knowing how to use the tables and actually using them is part of being a well prepared and competent diver. Besides, a computer can't tell you when it's time for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom