Is it just me or have BCD's skyrocketed over the last 11 years.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
When I got my halycon in 2009 I seem to recall they were pretty much the most expensive BC system on the market in fact I only got one because I got a hell of a deal.

Now I'm seeing people asking about BC's from scubapro and atomic that are more than even the highest end halycon, apex bpw are about the same and hollis and oms are pretty close. I know there are some a lot less than any of these.

What I'm wondering is why the higher rise in cost for a lot of these?

A few years ago (3?) we were down in Florida to see the Oriskany. Stopped in the local shop and they had one of the fancy new (no idea the brand as I didn't care) $1k BC on display. The rep left it with them hoping that they could find a home for it. And the price tag didn't include options. Not upgrade options, basic functional items, like which inflator to get. The basic one cost $xx over the base price of the BC, but you could opt for fancy pants $xxx inflator if you want it. And you have to buy one or the other, because "none" was not an option.

We had a good laugh. The owner of the shop was making more fun of it than we were.

Then everyone goes over to the corner and picks out a backplate and wing, calls it a day. Saved enough money to buy a Shearwater.

Uncontrollable pricing ascent?

A few years ago (3?) we were down in Florida to see the Oriskany. Stopped in the local shop and they had one of the fancy new (no idea the brand as I didn't care) $1k BC on display. The rep left it with them hoping that they could find a home for it. And the price tag didn't include options. Not upgrade options, basic functional items, like which inflator to get. The basic one cost $xx over the base price of the BC, but you could opt for fancy pants $xxx inflator if you want it. And you have to buy one or the other, because "none" was not an option.

We had a good laugh. The owner of the shop was making more fun of it than we were.

Then everyone goes over to the corner and picks out a backplate and wing, calls it a day. Saved enough money to buy a Shearwater.

Bad sign when you spend several hundred and still save enough to buy a 1k computer.

BCDs Archives - Atomic Aquatics

I think it was likely this one.

highest margin item....

Seems Atomic is just an $1500 (!) outlier, with most in the $400 - $600 range. Seeing as it’s the whole package of plate, harness, tank straps, BC, inflator, pockets, and usually weight belt all in one that doesn’t seem out of line.

BCDs Archives - Atomic Aquatics

I think it was likely this one.
Unfortunately, I've seen first-hand the kind of people who buy these. They're the ones boasting about each piece of equipment they buy (never failing to mention brand and model), but when you ask specific questions about it (why'd you get that one) you're likely to be met with a blank stare. Frustratingly ignorant, and yet a LDS's best friend. The same kind of people who get an instructor's C-card because "it's good to have", but with absolutely no plans to train anyone.

So the answer to how these products exist? People who buy scuba stuff for status, and not for the sport itself.
:soapbox:

highest margin item....
BCD’s are not typically the highest margin items. Usually see standard Keystone pricing for them. The highest margin items are usually masks, fins and snorkels.

Mark up and then offer discount so some punters would believe they had bought a bargain! Sucker.

Back
Top Bottom