Halcyon, Xdeep, OMS, Audaxpro, Aquatec, DGX - value & longevity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah ok, I guess they are trying to sell their stock. The Eclipse would be the way to go then if no discount. The Aluminum plate is a little over 3 pounds lighter than the SS so 3 kilos should work well for the first dive. Also check out GUE's YouTube videos. https://www.youtube.com/@GUEdivers/videos
Yeah, they only had the Traveler Pro in stock so had a closeout price, but they thought they could still order the Eclipse or Infinity but were told they couldn't get them anymore. Will try 3 kilos thanks.
Thanks for the link too, some cool videos!

I'm surprised the Halcyon weighs close to 9 pounds even just for the aluminum plate, DGX's package only weighs 6...wonder where the 3 pounds is coming from - heavier plate, thicker fabric? Almost tempted to get the DGX for travel...

There's a comparison chart below, it's in Chinese but the last row shows the weight in Kilos - both the Eclipse and Infinity are 4.5 kg for the Aluminum version and 6.0 kg for the SS version:

Attachments

• IMG_0655.PNG
    IMG_0655.PNG
    233.2 KB · Views: 67
Yeah, they only had the Traveler Pro in stock so had a closeout price, but they thought they could still order the Eclipse or Infinity but were told they couldn't get them anymore. Will try 3 kilos thanks.
Thanks for the link too, some cool videos!

I'm surprised the Halcyon weighs close to 9 pounds even just for the aluminum plate, DGX's package only weighs 6...wonder where the 3 pounds is coming from - heavier plate, thicker fabric? Almost tempted to get the DGX for travel...

There's a comparison chart below, it's in Chinese but the last row shows the weight in Kilos - both the Eclipse and Infinity are 4.5 kg for the Aluminum version and 6.0 kg for the SS version:
It is a rental so check to see if somebody didn't drain it and left water in the bladder.

I guess it is about right; plate 2 lbs, STA 2.4, hardware and d-rings are probably SS coupled with the wing and it will probably be close to 9 pounds.

my take, none. Get Eclipse (plate, harness+crotch strap, wing) Keep it simple. All the padding is really fluff. Even in rash guard diving, you won't feel the need for any of the padding. I sold all my infinity padding long ago

Carbon filter plate. I like CF, but keep in mind, dive gear take a lot beating. I am not so sure the longevity of CF. I have a CF STA for travel, but I don't travel dive enough, so didn't put it through typical use. It did take some beating at the corners tho. If money is of no object, I will take that titanium plate instead. It weights between AL and SS.
Update - after trying the Infinity on Saturday and enjoying the horizontal trim, I've decided to get the Eclipse and will be getting fitted for it at the shop tomorrow. Like @eelnoraa said, keep it simple - I didn't think the cinch of the infinity was needed once I get it to fit right, and didn't want to have to readjust each time. Also the padding didn't seem needed either and also don't need the extra buoyancy. Will get the AL plate - should be good enough and will probably use 2 or 3 kilos for trim weight.

It will be list price but they had a promotion this month giving a mesh gear bag, a BCD hanger, and since it was $1K, also a Tusa RD2 roller duffle bag which I can use for dive trips. I'll be diving my own backplate/wing this Saturday!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, over the past month I considered a lot of different brands, models, and even thought of ordering international from DGX, as it really seemed like a great deal. But in the end I decided on the Halcyon since I can have great local dealer support and also their reputation for great service if I ever need it. I figure it might be the last backplate wing I'll need so might as well splurge.

Attachments

• 1692112245514.png
    1692112245514.png
    458.7 KB · Views: 55
It is a rental so check to see if somebody didn't drain it and left water in the bladder.

I guess it is about right; plate 2 lbs, STA 2.4, hardware and d-rings are probably SS coupled with the wing and it will probably be close to 9 pounds.
It seemed to be pretty dry.

I think the previous chart I sent was created by the dive shop owner, and he later updated with more accurate specs, so now the Eclipse is supposed to be 3.5kg for Al plate and 5.4kg SS, while the Infinity is 4.9kg for Al, 6.8kg for SS.

Update - after trying the Infinity on Saturday and enjoying the horizontal trim, I've decided to get the Eclipse and will be getting fitted for it at the shop tomorrow. Like @eelnoraa said, keep it simple - I didn't think the cinch of the infinity was needed once I get it to fit right, and didn't want to have to readjust each time. Also the padding didn't seem needed either and also don't need the extra buoyancy. Will get the AL plate - should be good enough and will probably use 2 or 3 kilos for trim weight.

It will be list price but they had a promotion this month giving a mesh gear bag, a BCD hanger, and since it was $1K, also a Tusa RD2 roller duffle bag which I can use for dive trips. I'll be diving my own backplate/wing this Saturday!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, over the past month I considered a lot of different brands, models, and even thought of ordering international from DGX, as it really seemed like a great deal. But in the end I decided on the Halcyon since I can have great local dealer support and also their reputation for great service if I ever need it. I figure it might be the last backplate wing I'll need so might as well splurge.
I think you will be very happy. See if they will throw in a couple of the Halcyon trim pockets too. Probably a long shot but it is worth a shot.

Thanks! I picked it up tonight and they adjusted for me, but I'm still having doubts about how tight the shoulder straps should be...they state that I should be able to touch the top of the backplate when I reach back with my hand, and if too low it the lower edge of the backplate would rub my backside. But this still feels too tight to me. I watched this video previously which made more sense, being able to put a fist in between the shoulder straps and chest:
If I try to put a fist behind the shoulder straps, I'm digging into my chest to do so. It almost sounds like I should let all the weight fall on the waist belt like a big backpack where most of the weight is supported by your hips, but if I do that the backplate is too low right?
The Halcyon video wasn't as clear:
This video I'll have to watch again when I have time:

I saw another video here in the forums where the person was in the pool and demonstrated how loose he had the shoulder straps and was able to slip out of them underwater and showed how he still had control and the wing was still well attached with only the waist and crotch straps.

Then again maybe I'm just used to wearing my backpacks loose and feel this is tight, or used to loose jacket bcd's...
I guess I'll have to try different ways until I get it to feel comfortable both in and out of the water.

Thanks again Joe, will definitely take some time to dial it in, but it will be worth it!

I went on a couple of shore dives with the new Eclipse, and it felt fine doing the short hike down and back up to and from the entry point, but at one point on the second dive, i felt the top of the tank on the back of my head... I thought I had made the crotch strap tight enough but apparently not? Or could it be that the tank was mounted too high on the cam bands? I aligned the top of the wing with the opening of the tank valve, which is how I saw it taught for jacket bcd's - is that too high for a backplate wing?

Also, 8 pounds of weight was enough with a full 3mm and a jacket BCD, and I dropped to 3kg (6.6 pounds) with the Eclipse - at the end of the second dive I tried holding a normal breath in and started to sink with the BCD deflated. I'm thinking of dropping down to only 2kg's or 4.4 lbs, but slightly concerned that might be too little weight to stay neutral during the safety stop. From what I hear, the aluminum backplate is 1.7lbs, and the unweighted STA is about 2 pounds - so that's 3.7 pounds negative right there vs. the jacket BCD, and I assume the Eclipse doesn't have any other buoyant parts vs a jacket BCD.
Original weight with jacket: 8lbs - 3.7lbs from the Eclipse backplate and STA = 4.3lbs, so 4.4lbs should definitely be enough weight right? Just not sure if I'm forgetting to account for any other buoyancy.

I know the best way is to actually try it but don't want to use 2kgs and find out I'm underweighted, and prefer not having to ask someone to carry extra weight for me to try it. If the above math sounds right then I won't need to worry.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom