Halcyon, Xdeep, OMS, Audaxpro, Aquatec, DGX - value & longevity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went on a couple of shore dives with the new Eclipse, and it felt fine doing the short hike down and back up to and from the entry point, but at one point on the second dive, i felt the top of the tank on the back of my head... I thought I had made the crotch strap tight enough but apparently not? Or could it be that the tank was mounted too high on the cam bands? I aligned the top of the wing with the opening of the tank valve, which is how I saw it taught for jacket bcd's - is that too high for a backplate wing?

Also, 8 pounds of weight was enough with a full 3mm and a jacket BCD, and I dropped to 3kg (6.6 pounds) with the Eclipse - at the end of the second dive I tried holding a normal breath in and started to sink with the BCD deflated. I'm thinking of dropping down to only 2kg's or 4.4 lbs, but slightly concerned that might be too little weight to stay neutral during the safety stop. From what I hear, the aluminum backplate is 1.7lbs, and the unweighted STA is about 2 pounds - so that's 3.7 pounds negative right there vs. the jacket BCD, and I assume the Eclipse doesn't have any other buoyant parts vs a jacket BCD.
Original weight with jacket: 8lbs - 3.7lbs from the Eclipse backplate and STA = 4.3lbs, so 4.4lbs should definitely be enough weight right? Just not sure if I'm forgetting to account for any other buoyancy.

I know the best way is to actually try it but don't want to use 2kgs and find out I'm underweighted, and prefer not having to ask someone to carry extra weight for me to try it. If the above math sounds right then I won't need to worry.

Thanks!
It sounds like the tank was mounted too high and the crotch strap was a bit loose. I position the tank as low as possible. Take a look at this video for tank positioning:

There isn't much that is buoyant on the Eclipse system; MC storage pack, octo pads on cam bands, straps and the wing itself. Just play with the weights. This sounds like fresh water? Also, because you are in better trim you will have resistance to moving up and down in the water column as opposed to a jacket BCD where you might have been head up.

Another video that might help:

It sounds like the tank was mounted too high and the crotch strap was a bit loose. I position the tank as low as possible. Take a look at this video for tank positioning:

There isn't much that is buoyant on the Eclipse system; MC storage pack, octo pads on cam bands, straps and the wing itself. Just play with the weights. This sounds like fresh water? Also, because you are in better trim you will have resistance to moving up and down in the water column as opposed to a jacket BCD where you might have been head up.

Thanks again Joe, the videos are helpful, will try some of the tips this weekend. My dives here are all salt water. I spoke to owner of the store I bought the Halcyon from and he said he doesn't even use any weight at all with his Halcyon, and is also using the aluminum plate. I definitely already have good horizontal trim with the backplate wing, just need to dial it in some more!

Nice videos, thanks for posting

I say the only difference is weight. I have silly light Helium Dive full titanium plate/harness/STA/cam strap set, but it only gets used on those extreme trips.
5lbs 5oz total including wing.

Im typically running a SS plate with an 20/30lb wing. I like and want that weight if I can have it.

If I had one set it would be a SS plate with a 30lb wing.

Colour me with envy, I've been looking at their Ti stuff for ages, I certainly don't need it but I do want it.

I jumped on one.

Way cool. We forget that the SS buckles and d rings add a ton of weight to an AL plate combo. And all the metal having a matching finish, is dead sexy.

Next travel rig I make, will have the plastic cam buckles. Lighter.

1000007782.jpg

The matching metal is too cool:

1000007783.jpg

That's the Dgx wing.

There's going to be some buyers remorse. Afterall, it's just a backplate. A glorified Ti stop sign. I just felt like buying a high end rig.

View attachment 818467

The matching metal is too cool:

View attachment 818468

That's the Dgx wing.

There's going to be some buyers remorse. Afterall, it's just a backplate. A glorified Ti stop sign. I just felt like buying a high end rig.

What’s the weight of that handsome devil? I’ll be in Tucson next month and plan to stop by paragon dive to check the helium gear out.

I'll check.

Eta:
5.6#. With Sta, 2 d rings (left waist and crotch), and Dgx wing.

The Ti Sta is a huge chunk of weight, that isn't needed. Sta's are just so convenient for travel, and the tank and wing are always straight.

I always would get the Sta for a singles rig, so there's the option of choosing it or not. I dive both ways. Tank swaps are kinda hectic on some dive boats. I think I'll stick with the Sta for a while.

Alu hardware, and plastic camband buckles are lighter, but weaker. Ti is as tough as SS.

My previous travel rig is a DGX AL plate, DGX SS hardware (all 6 rings), plastic cam bands, no Sta, Deep Sea Lcd30 is 7.2#.

My cold water loaded DSS SS singles rig, DGX 30 wing, DGX SS cam bands, DGX SS Sta, DSS weight plates, is 22#.

Lol, had to use a less accurate luggage scale. Likely closer to 25#.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom