Rock Boots vs Integrated Boots and Floaty Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the attached boots are having that much effect, there is too much air in your suit. Air should only be added to compensate for squeeze. If the boot is 8" too long, it will be smashed flat if the suit is inflated properly during the dive, not floating full of air.
I have done over 600 dives in drysuit. Most of them with steel D12's. I'am head heavy with the doubles. So therefore the last thing I want is air in my boots.

With sidemount or singles it's a whole different story, but I still don't like the floaty feeling of attached boots. They feel awkward to me. To loose, can't control my fins properly because the boot move around my feet. Doing a back kick I'am kicked my boot off more than once.

With respect to too much air in my suit, I can say that I eliminate the squeeze, and no more. The rest of my buoyancy is controlled with the wing.

Just measure gas bubble as described in DUI manual and you will realise that there is a lot of excess gas in the drysuit.

AJ:
I have done over 600 dives in drysuit. Most of them with steel D12's. I'am head heavy with the doubles. So therefore the last thing I want is air in my boots.

With sidemount or singles it's a whole different story, but I still don't like the floaty feeling of attached boots. They feel awkward to me. To loose, can't control my fins properly because the boot move around my feet. Doing a back kick I'am kicked my boot off more than once.
You very clearly are stating that you don't have the correct size boots. Not a flaw of having boots, but flawed in the sizing of your boots.

You have them so the best bet is to learn to deal with them, and next time order with neoprene feet. Avoid dogma and dive.

There are rubber stirrups and they help tighten the ankle area; can't find a picture unfortunately

You very clearly are stating that you don't have the correct size boots. Not a flaw of having boots, but flawed in the sizing of your boots.

Agree with this. They should fit, with your thermal socks on, comfortably enough that you can walk around in them like you would with gumboots/wellingtons/rain boots on. Your feet shouldnt slip out or feel "sloppy" in them, they should fit comfortably. If the boot wiggles side-to-side on your foot, chances are you need a smaller size. We replace boots on suits often for this reason, and for custom sized suits, we have a collection of boots for people to try on.

There are rubber stirrups and they help tighten the ankle area; can't find a picture unfortunately

Trident Fin Grip (RP57) - we sell a few of these. They work great on rental drysuits where the suit fits but the integrated boot is a size too small.

AJ:

If you are head heavy with your doubles, perhaps you should move your doubles bands up a cm and see how they feel. It is annoying but it may be worthwhile if you have having troubles. Similar to trimming out sidemount bottles or adjusting where your single tank BC cam bands sit on your single tank.

Just measure gas bubble as described in DUI manual and you will realise that there are lot of excess gas in the drysuit.
"The free-air-volume is the
bubble of air which can freely move around inside the drysuit.This volume of
air is not part of the air trapped in the undergarments.The free air volume
contributes little or nothing to the overall insulation value. However, this
roving bubble is always moving to the highest point of the drysuit as you
change your attitude in the water. If the roving bubble is too big, it can lead to
trim problems such as the feeling your feet are floating up.The diver can
measure the size of this bubble by rotating the body to a vertical position and
holding one arm up over the head thus allowing the free air to move up this
arm. The drysuit will be collapsed around the arm up to the bottom of the
bubble.When the bubble is larger then half the length of the forearm it is
getting too big. It is best to keep the bubble small and, if it starts to grow, vent
the excess volume off and add air to the BCD to attain neutral buoyancy."

Nope, tried 2 sizes even one too small, both did not work. My feet do not match attached boots. My feet are narrow and have a high instep. I need laces or something like that to tighten the shoes. I have the same problem with normal shoes. Attached boots do not work for me.

If you are head heavy with your doubles, perhaps you should move your doubles bands up a cm and see how they feel. It is annoying but it may be worthwhile if you have having troubles. Similar to trimming out sidemount bottles or adjusting where your single tank BC cam bands sit on your single tank.
I could do that, but then I probably could not reach my valves. Furthermore if I placed the bands different, I could never loan doubles on holidays or share doubles with my buddies. To me moving the bands is a solution for a non existing problem. I just happen to like rock boots, they work for me :cool:

AJ:
To me moving the bands is a solution for a non existing problem. I just happen to like rock boots, they work for me :cool:

As is stating that lace up boots are the only answer. An equipment solution. If your boots don't fit, I get it, it would be annoying to dive that way, but it has nothing to do with the style of boot.
If you are head heavy, your tanks are positioned incorrectly or you need a tail weight on them.
When you stop moving, you should stop moving, not flip over forward.
If you start with the basics, everything else becomes simple.

Back
Top Bottom