Rock Boots vs Integrated Boots and Floaty Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I have to change my boots since they're just barely big enough, maybe I'll go the route of the socks and rock boots. If there's anyone out there who has changed boots, or boots to socks, would you send me a PM so I can discuss the procedure with you. Thanks.

I've bought 3 suits with attached boots and 1 with attached socks. I had one of the suits with boots changed to having socks. Currently, I have 2 drysuits, once with attached boots and one with attached compressed neoprene socks.

I don't use rock boots with my suit with socks. I use booties. I've tried various scuba wetsuit booties and never found a good fit. Then @tbone1004 clued me into NRS Paddle shoes and I've been using them ever since. They are awesome.

http://www.rei.com/product/881348/nrs-paddle-wetshoes-mens

When you get your boots replaced with socks, I would strongly recommend finding a place that has compressed (or crushed) neoprene socks to put on. When I had a suit where I replaced the boots with socks, the place that did the work only had normal (non-compressed) 5mm neoprene socks. I think compressed is enough better to make sure that's what you get.

I sent my one suit to @Dive Right In Scuba to have the boots replaced with socks. I like DRiS, but if I had to do it again, and they didn't have compressed neoprene socks (which they didn't back then), I would look for another option. Maybe buy the socks elsewhere, try them on at home, to make sure I got the right size for me, and then send the suit with the socks to DRiS to have them do the work.

If you get the right size socks, they'll fit with thick or thin socks underneath, without making uncomfortable wrinkles inside your rock boot or bootie.

Generally, I prefer attached socks for the versatility. I can wear 1 pair of thin wool socks underneath, or 2 pairs of thick wool socks, and either way, the stock still fits snugly, without being too tight, and I get minimal air in my feet, even if I happen to go into a head down trim during a dive.

I do have 1 suit right now with attached "tech boots." But, I bought that suit sort of as a backup, and for use in some fairly specific dive conditions. I wanted it to be as inexpensive and simple as possible, so it has attached boots and no replaceable seals. Just a basic compressed neoprene drysuit, with neoprene seals all around, thigh pockets, and a pee valve, and no other frills. Also, no need to remember to bring booties for it.

@stuartv - very interesting and instructive info. Does your weighting and/or technique change when going from wearing the suit with the socks, to the suit with the boots?

@stuartv - very interesting and instructive info. Does your weighting and/or technique change when going from wearing the suit with the socks, to the suit with the boots?

No. I’m in either double steel 120s, with no weight, or my CCR with no weight.

@stuartv - what's your source for the crushed neoprene socks?

I ordered my Seaskin Nova (trilam) drysuit with them, so they came from Seaskin. It looks like they do sell them as a "repair" item. Keep in mind their listed price includes VAT (which you wouldn't pay, if they ship to the U.S.). I'd guess, with the exchange rate, they'd be a bit over USD$40 for the pair.

Compressed Neoprene socks (Spares) pair - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

You could probably send your suit to Seaskin to have the socks installed by them. But, shipping a drysuit to the UK is very expensive.

Ive had both and in many ways prefer the neoprene socks and wet boots. The manufacturer of my current suit didn't offer socks and boots only integrated tech boots. It took some dives to get use to integrated boots but it wasn't too difficult. I find less "cold spots" or other feelings on my beet than I had with rock boots but have to be more mindful of air transfer in my suit. If the manufacturer makes them available in the future I will likely change back to socks and rock boots as I liked them better for shore diving entry/exit.

I won't ship my suit back to Seaskin, not only because of the cost, but I had a major problem with delivery by FedEx. If my LDS can't get them, I'll order from Seaskin. Hopefully, FedEx won't screw up the delivery this time.

@stuartv - Seaskin's description of the compressed neoprene socks states that they are for the Ultra, however, you have the Nova. Did you need to secure them to the trilam in any special way?

@stuartv - Seaskin's description of the compressed neoprene socks states that they are for the Ultra, however, you have the Nova. Did you need to secure them to the trilam in any special way?

I ordered my Nova with the sock option, so my suit came with them on it.

Back
Top Bottom